Skip to Main Content
Office of Equal Opportunity
Disability ADA Information
- An Individual with a Disability is a person who:
- Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;
- Has a record of such impairment; or
- Is regarded as having such impairment.
- A Qualified Individual with a Disability is someone who, with or without accommodations, meets the essential eligibility requirements for participating in programs, services, and activities provided by Indiana State University.
- A Qualified Employee or Applicant with a Disability is an individual who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job in question.
- Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to:
- Making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to and usable by persons with
- Job restructuring, modifying work schedules, reassignment to a vacant position;
- Acquiring or modifying equipment or devices, adjusting or modifying formats or language, training
materials or policies, or providing qualified readers, interpreters or adaptive software;
- Alternative testing, extended time, scribes, interpreter, environment free of distractions,
brailed material, taped lectures, text-to-audio software, and computer-assisted instruction.
- An employer is required to make an accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or
employee if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business. Undue
hardship is defined as an action requiring significant difficulty or expense when considered in light of
factors such as an employer's size, financial resources and the nature and structure of its operation.
- Essential Eligibility Requirements means the academic or other technical standards required for
admission to or participation in Indiana State University programs, services, or activities which an
individual must be able to meet with or without accommodation.
- An "essential function" of a job means a fundamental duty of a job that helps defines the
nature and purpose of the position.