2006 Ph.D Health Education, Southern Illinois University
Dissertation: Exploring the Characteristics of a Stress Management Gaming Intervention for Community College Students
2000 M.S.Ed., Health Education, Southern Illinois University
Thesis: Investigation of Stress Associated with Personality in Teaching Assistants
1993 B.S., Psychology, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor, Public Health Sciences, Fall Semester 2008 to
Department of Health, Safety, and Environmental Health Sciences, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN.
Taught various health sciences courses. Served on two department committees. Initiated research in areas of interest.
2006-2008 Health Education Instructor, August 2006 to August 2008.
Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Edwardsville, IL
Taught health education majors and non-majors in various health education courses. Participated in curriculum review and revision for health education program. Developed health education program website. Maintained assigned courses with Blackboard Academic Suite™. Developed technology course for health education program.
2003-2006 Health Education Instructor.
Department of Life Science, John A. Logan College, Carterville, IL.
Instructed community college students in various health and physical education courses. Created newsletter for promotion of health education complex. Developed flyers and children’s activity books. Produced educational videos to supplement lifeguard training.
Health Education/Health Sciences
● Community Health Concepts
● Consumer Health Education
● Death Education
● Environmental Health Education
● Healthful Living
● Human Sexuality
● Introduction to Epidemiology
● Principles and Foundations and Biostatistics of Health Education
● Research Methods
● School Health Education: K-5
● Stress and Its Management
● Substance Abuse Education
● Substance Abuse Prevention (K-12 Settings).
● Arthritis Aquatics
● Beginning Swimming (Adults)
● Beginning Swimming (Kids 7-11)
● Intermediate Swimming (Kids 7-11)
● Moms and Tots Swim (3-6 years)
Autism/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders (ADHD) and Public Health Autism Spectrum Disorders and Co-morbidity with Attention Deficit- Hyperactivity Disorder and Seizure Disorders.
Analysis of Demographic and Diagnostic Factors of Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio Residents with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Prevalence of Indiana Residents with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorders
Prevalence and Characteristics of Adults with Autism Disorders and Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorders
Investigation of Physicians’ Criteria for Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Adults
Health Media and Technology Self-Efficacy of Health Science Students in the Production of a Public Service Announcement Video
Stress and the College Student Population
Johnson, M. K. (2008). Software Program Authoring for Health Educators: No “Programming” Required! The Health Education Monograph Series. Invited.
Johnson, M. K. (Accepted for 2009). “Engaging and Educating Health Education Students with Video Sharing Web Sites.” The HEDIR Technology Seminar, National AAHPERD Convention, March 2009, Tampa, FL.
Johnson, M. K. and Goldsmith, M. D. (2008). “Promoting Professional Development with Student-Based Web Sites.” The HEDIR Technology Seminar, National AAHPERD Convention, April 2008, Fort Worth, TX.
Johnson, M. K., and Kittleson, M. J. (2007). “Health Education Games: Incorporating Theory into Practice”. American Association of Health Education, National AAHPERD Convention, March, 2007, Baltimore, MD.
Johnson, M.K. (2007). “Three Phases for Developing Health Education Electronic Games”. The HEDIR Technology Seminar, March, 2007, Baltimore, MD.
Morrissey, M. K., and Kittleson, M. J. (2000). “The Influence of Demographic Variables on Stress in Graduate Teaching Assistants”. American Academy of Health Behavior, Santa Fe, NM.
● Keynote Speaker, Outstanding Majors of the Year Award Ceremony, American Association for Health Education, National AAHPERD Convention, April 2008, Fort Worth, TX.
● Presider, Undergraduate Case Study Competition, American Association for Health Education, AAHPERD National Convention, March 2007 (Baltimore, MD) and April 2008 (Fort Worth, TX).
● Co-Author, Evaluation criteria for Undergraduate Case Study Competition, American Association for Health Education, AAHPERD National Convention, April 2008, Fort Worth, TX.
● Author, Case Study Scenario, Undergraduate Case Study Competition, America Association for Health Education, April 2008, Fort Worth, TX.
● Developer, AAHE Virtual Student Conference, Student Involvement, American Association for Health Education.