Athletic study Program
At Indiana State University it is our mission to provide the opportunity for student-athletes to experience a well-rounded educational program. The mission of the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes (ASPSA) at ISU has been created to offer appropriate academic support services and advisement to student-athletes in areas such as, university policy and procedures, Missouri Valley Conference and NCAA rules and regulations, and academic eligibility. In addition, the ASPSA also offers supplemental programs to enhance the student-athlete experience, such as, mentoring, tutoring, UNIV 101, CHAMPS/Life Skills, enrichment hours, career counseling, and academic advising to all student-athletes. The aforementioned services and information should assist student-athletes in achieving their academic goals while participating in a demanding NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletic program. These services should also ensure that progress toward graduation and degree completion requirements for baccalaureate and graduate programs are being met.
General Functions of the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes (ASPSA)
The general functions of the ASPSA are categorized according to three groups: (a) the student-athletes, (b) the coaches, and (c) the athletic/University administration. The list of functions that follows is descriptive but not exhaustive.
- Assist all student-athletes in defining academic/career goals, in developing an academic plan which supports these goals.
- Encourage the student-athlete to take pride in achievement and reach full potential, both as a student and as an athlete.
- Support the role of the respective college academic adviser; encourage the student to seek academic advice and direction frequently from this adviser.
- Promote an understanding of the University's academic policies and procedures and reinforce the importance of working within them.
- Emphasize the importance of normal degree progress in the curriculum of enrollment, while maintaining normal progress for the purpose of athletic eligibility; provide to the student, each semester, an assessment of progress and counsel accordingly.
- Refer students, as appropriate, to other University units for academic or personal assistance.
- Provide special group and individual programs for student-athletes to enhance their academic performance and their ability to cope effectively with the simultaneous demands of academic programs and athletics. These include tutorials, study halls, intrusive counseling, workshops, and individual projects on study skills, time management, and stress management.
- Inform coaches of University/NCAA/Missouri Valley Conference policies relative to admission and academic progress of student-athletes.
- Identify and explain departmental procedures through which appropriate team rosters and other required data are conveyed in a timely fashion to the Academic Coordinator.
- Provide to coaches each semester, or as necessary, an assessment of the academic progress of all team members; identify support activities/resources for each coach that would assist in dealing with potential problems in academic achievement for an individual student.
- Support coaches in their recruitment efforts by providing, upon request, individual academic information conferences with recruits.
- Keep appropriate University and Athletic administrators informed of ASPSA activities, anticipated problems and needs, as well as academic issues which may affect student-athletes.
- Monitor the eligibility status of each student-athlete; prepare and distribute eligibility status reports to appropriate administrators each semester.
- Design various studies and prepare pertinent reports for the University, the NCAA, and the Missouri Valley Conference that reflect the academic performance and profiles of student-athletes.
- Develop and maintain effective liaison relationships with the University Dean’s of each College within the University.
- For additional information about the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes at ISU, please contact
Marlon Dechausay , Director – Student-Athlete Academic Services , at 812-237-7601 or