Skip to Main Content
LAPTOPS FOR STUDENTS
Diagram of the Standard R52 Model
- Power Switch—Turns on your ThinkPad.
- Volume and Mute Buttons—Built-in buttons enable you to quickly adjust the volume or mute the sound.
- Access IBM Button—Opens your on-board help system.
- Touch Pad—Functions similar to a mouse.
- Two USB Ports—Used for
connecting USB interface-compatible
devices, such as a local printer, digital camera, or other peripherals. If you
have more than two USB devices that you would like to connect at the same
time, you will need to use a USB 2.0 hub. The most common size is a hub with
four USB 2.0 ports.
- S-video Port or Video-out—Used to connect your ThinkPad to a TV.
- Modem Port—56K3 Modem port is used to connect a standard phone line to access
dial-up Internet connections.
- Ethernet Port—Used to connect your computer to a wired
network connection, such as the one in your room or office. The network interface card
is built in, allowing you
to connect local area network using a network cable.
- Stereo Headphone Jack and
Microphone Jack—If you are
planning on prolonged periods of time talking via the web you might want to
consider using a headset for your convenience.
- PC Card Slot—Allows the integration of a variety of
peripheral devices, such as a GPS card, an AM/FM tuner card, or a Firewire
- CD-RW/DVD ROM Combo — Allows
you to play and burn CDs and play
DVDs (standard model).
- External Display or VGA Port—Allows you to connect your
ThinkPad to a projector or external monitor.
- AC Power Plug—Connects to the AC adapter cable providing
power to the computer and charges the battery.
- Parallel Port—Allows you to connect to
printers and peripherals.
- Infrared Port—If you have a device that uses infrared (such as a
PDA) you can connect
with the laptop using the wireless infrared port.
- Security Clip—Slide a single
security clip to the right to disengages the two hooks holding the lid
- Pre-Installed Software—The student model comes pre-installed with many common software applications
including the Microsoft Office Suite. See a listing of pre-installed software.
- Wi-Fi Wireless Connectivity—You can access the web just as you would at your desk, but not be tied
to the wall with a network connection. The
wireless feature of these laptops
will allow you to access e-mail, the internet, or any other networked
application on the ISU campus or anywhere you have wireless access. Some
conferences, convention centers or hotels will also offer wireless access so
you can always be connected.
- Bluetooth® Technology—The Multimedia ThinkPad
Z60 has built-in Bluetooth and will work with your Bluetooth-capable devices. To use your Bluetooth devices, please refer to the
documentation that accompanied the device.
- For more information on the ThinkPad R52, view
online demo or their
Service and Troubleshooting Guide.
Back to top