- Extended Learning Home
- Outreach and Enrichment
- College Challenge
- Distance Education
Information on Academic Programs
For information on academic programs (including advisement), students should contact their academic advisor or visit the academic department or college in which the major is housed:
For assistance with admission, campus tours, credit transfer, financial aid, housing options, registration, scholarships, and veterans benefits, students should contact:
Health Sciences: Public Health M.S.
Indiana State University offers the master of science (M.S.) in health sciences with a concentration in public health to students who are interested in advancing their careers or education. This master's program provides a general mastery of public health beyond that of the undergraduate level. The program is particularly recommended for students who wish to assume additional organizational responsibility or who wish to pursue a doctorate degree.
All courses are offered on-line; on-campus visits are not required. High-speed Internet access is required.[ list all ]
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree, including the following undergraduate courses:
- Two semesters of college-level anatomy and physiology; and
- One semester of college-level algebra, trigonometry, calculus, or statistics
- Have earned one of the following:
- a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.7 in all undergraduate coursework
- a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework
- a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in the applicant's major field of study
- a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in all courses taken at the graduate level
- Meet one of the following professional requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree in allied health professions; or
- Two years of professional work experience within the field of health care, public health, or health education/promotion, as approved by the Department of Applied Health Sciences
Applicants failing to meet the requirements may be granted conditional admission.
The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Apply online.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges previously attended. Show proof of completion of an undergraduate degree in health sciences, health education or a related field. (Students who have no prior background in community or public health may be required to take an introductory public health course to address this deficiency.) To be official, transcripts must be sent directly from the college attended to: Indiana State University, Graduate Admissions, Welcome Center, 318 North Sixth Street, Terre Haute, IN, 47809. E-transcripts should be sent to email@example.com
- Submit scores for the General Tests of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) if the grade point average (G.P.A.) is less than 2.8. Submit scores to: Indiana State University, Graduate Admissions, Welcome Center, 318 North Sixth Street, Terre Haute, IN, 47809.
- Submit a $35.00 (nonrefundable) application fee, payable by Visa, MasterCard, or check or money order payable to Indiana State University. Submit payment to: Indiana State University, Graduate Admissions, Welcome Center, 318 North Sixth Street, Terre Haute, IN, 47809.
- Submit a letter of interest describing academic and/or employment experience as well as reasons for pursuing the master's degree. Submit letter to: Department of Applied Health Sciences, Indiana State University, 410 North 4th Street, Arena B-83, Terre Haute, IN 47809.
- Submit a current resume (1-2 pages) to: Department of Applied Health Sciences, Indiana State University, 410 North 4th Street, Arena B-83, Terre Haute, IN 47809.
- Provide the name, email address, and telephone number of at least two references to: Department of Applied Health Sciences, Indiana State University, 410 North 4th Street, Arena B-83, Terre Haute, IN 47809.
- International applicants must submit official scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or provide equivalent evidence of language proficiency. Submit scores to: Indiana State University, Graduate Admissions, Welcome Center, 318 North Sixth Street, Terre Haute, IN, 47809.
- Be available for an interview, which may be conducted by telephone.
Once admitted, students receive notification from the University as well as their University ID number needed to activate their Sycamore login on the MyISU Portal. The Portal offers access to online registration, University records, and other important University services, including e-mail, and University announcements.
Note: Returning ISU students must apply for re-admission if they have not attended ISU for more than two calendar years.
Fees & Expenses:[ current fee rates ]
Financial Aid & Assistance:
Graduate students may be eligible for federal student loans if they are admitted into graduate degrees (or first-time teacher certification programs) and meet other eligibility requirements. Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Private alternative loans can help students pay college expenses that may not be covered by federal loan programs or other financial aid. For more information, visit financial aid.
Further Information:Department of Applied Health Sciences
Indiana State University
410 North 4th Street, Arena B-83
Terre Haute, IN 47809
Distance Education Students Residing Outside of Indiana: Each of the states has its own approval processes for out-of-state institutions offering distance education. While Indiana State University endeavors to offer all of its programs to as wide an audience as possible, all ISU distance education programs may not be available in all states. To check the status of programs available in a particular state, visit program availability.
The Catalog of Indiana State University is the document of authority for all students. The requirements given in the catalog supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time.