Black Faculty and Staff Caucus
The BFSC began May of 2012 with five staff members hoping to develop a social and mutual support
organization for African American faculty and staff at ISU (and the Foundation).
The mission of the BFSC:
In alliance with Indiana State University Strategic Plan’s commitment to diversity, the Black
Faculty and Staff Caucus (BFSC) was organized to address the academic, professional, and social
development of Black faculty, staff, and students. By providing relevant programs and services,
we hope to develop a more supportive campus environment and foster greater connections with the
Black Terre Haute community.
The kickoff dinner occurred on August 27, 2012 resulting in an initial membership of
approximately 35 faculty, staff and graduate students. The efforts from the kickoff developed
a focus on a specific set of questions, resulting in a set of volunteer committees. The
- How can we recruit and retain Black undergraduate students?
- How can we recruit and retain Black graduate students?
- How can we recruit and retain Black faculty and staff?
- How can the Black student, faculty, and staff of ISU increase outreach efforts with the Black Terre Haute community?
As a result, three sub-committees have been developed to address those four questions.
1. Recruitment and Retention of Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- Assisting Black Student Organizations - Co-chairs: Dr. Stephanie Jefferson & Nolan Davis
- Student-to-Student Mentoring - Chair: Valerie Craig
- Student, Faculty, and Staff Networking - Chair: Christopher Childs
- Student Communications Committee - Chair: Valerie Craig
- Black Graduate Student Association - President: Valerie Holmes; Advisor: Nolan Davis
2. Recruitment and Retention of Black Faculty and Staff
- Faculty Affinity Group – Chaired by Dr. Mary Howard Hamilton
- Professional Men Affinity Group - Chair: Christopher Childs
- Social Committee – Co-chairs: Dr. Elonda Ervin & Venita Stallings
- Faculty and Staff Communications Committee - Chair: Azizi Arrington-Bey
3. Community Outreach
- Student Recruitment - Co-Chairs: Regina Atkins & Dr. Stephanie Jefferson
- Community Outreach - Chair: Venita Stallings
Black Faculty and Staff FY 12-13 Final Year Report
WGO - What's going on !
- Azizi Arrington-Bey
- Christopher Childs
- Dr. Elonda Ervin
- Dr. Stephanie Jefferson
- Yvonne Russell
- Roland Shelton
- Venita Stallings
- Nolan Davis - Chair
- A Black Faculty and Staff Newsletter