Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
S. Davis, J. Harper, N. Lawrence, R. Schneirov, V. Sheets, J. Tenerelli
Ex-Officio: President Benjamin
I. Administrative Report
President Benjamin addressed:
1) fall enrollment: shared incoming student enrollment figures which show a decline, so far, for the Fall semester.
2) the need to identify issues contributing to the decline.
3) the beneficial summer visit of the Moroccan delegation.
II. Chair Report
1) welcomed back members of the Executive Committee and gave an overview of her plan to improve communication between Faculty Senate and faculty, as well as administration.
2) reported on her summer Senate activities.
3) established liaisons to the Standing Committees.
III. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) Concerns regarding the decline in enrollment were expressed. considerable discussion followed with focus on issues related to Financial Aid.
2) President Benjamin was thanked for crediting Faculty Senate efforts regarding the 5% salary increase.
3) An inquiry was made as to the status of the Special Purpose Faculty initiative. Feedback will be provided at a future meeting.
4) An inquiry was made as to when the Executive Committee could anticipate receiving the President’s response to the forwarded list of concerns. The President indicated within the next month a response would be sent.
IV. Nominations for Parliamentarian
J. Harper nominated by acclamation as
EC#1, 8/19/03 Page 2
V. Standing Committee Slates
After modification, approved as amended. (Lawrence, Sheets 8-0-1)
VI. All University Committee Recommendations
After modification, approved as amended. (Lawrence, Tenerelli 8-0-1)
VII. Charges to Standing Committees
The Chair distributed a draft of suggested Standing Committee charges, with a request that the Executive Committee members make further recommendations for
discussion at the August 26 meeting.
VIII. Executive Session
Motion to move into executive session. (Davis, Lawrence 8-0-1)
Motion to come out of executive session. (Davis, Tenerelli 8-0-1)
Motion to forward the grievance to the Faculty Affairs Committee chair, upon election, for a hearing. (Harper, Lawrence 8-0-1)
The meeting adjourned at 5:25 p.m.