Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
B. Evans, B. Frank, P. Hightower, C. MacDonald, V. Sheets, S. Shure
Ex-Officio: B. English
Visitor: C. Barton, P. Mikolaj
I. Administrative Report
1) reminded the Committee of the Engagement event Feb. 9-11.
II. Chair Report
1) distributed the schedule for the Deans’ budget presentations;
2) reported on meetings: she and S. Lamb had met with G. Floyd regarding the budget report and with President Benjamin and K. Snider on pay for performance and draft Compensation Plan.
III. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) Concern that student’s attending a technology seminar were given misinformation on the room location; bad impression on parents and students.
2) Presidential scholars’ interviews were impressive this year with good faculty participation.
3) Issues of intelligent design expressed—concern with acceptance.
IV. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of February 1, 2005, were approved. (Sheets, Macdonald 7-0-2)
V. Information Item
Ad hoc Benefits Committee
Guests were invited to the table by acclamation. Update of committee activities given: meeting regularly; conducted a benefits survey of peer institutions used in the compensation study with addition of those in the local community but had poor response making comparison difficult; budget implications on health benefits discussed. Questions of personal interest of the ISU plan were asked of the guests.
VI. Standing Committee Recommendations
FAC: Report on Spousal Hires
Accepted. (Frank, Lamb 8-0-1)
Compliments to the Committee for its work.
Motion: Create a taskforce to seek input from the Support Staff Council and Human Resources using the Report as a base for creation of a draft policy. (Frank, MacDonald 8-0-1)
FAC: Performance Review Deadlines
Recommendation: The deadlines for pretenured faculty performance reviews be considered. Specifically, first, second, and third-year faculty should have reviews due later in the academic year while fourth, fifth, and sixth-year faculty could have their reviews due earlier in the academic year.
Failed motion to accept. (Evans, Shure 0-8-1)
Noted the recommendation violates the AAUP guidelines. Issues to be addressed on case by case basis.
Agenda reordered by consensus.
VII. New Business
Faculty Representative on the Dean of Technology Review Committee
Approved J. Kulhmann. (Frank, Lamb 8-0-1)
Nominations to the Alliance for Community Engagement Committee
The Committee forwarded nominations. Chair Hudson will affirm if nominees are available and forward the slate to J. Tenerelli and the Committee via e-mail.
VIII. Old Business
Draft Compensation Plan
The Committee forwarded suggestions for inclusion in the formal response to the President. Chair Hudson will construct the response.
The meeting adjourned at 5:43 p.m.