Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
B. Evans, B. Frank, C. MacDonald, V. Sheets, S. Shure
Ex-Officio: Provost Maynard
I. Administrative Report
1) President Benjamin could not attend; he is attending alumni functions in Florida;
2) an audit by the State Board of Accounts resulted in no findings; only recommendations on procedural issues;
3) relayed the University has been notified the appeal to the Department of Education regarding financial aid repayment of $1.5M for years 1999-2002 will be heard this spring;
4) enrollment as of last Friday compared to same time last year: undergraduate—down 3%, graduate—up 8.5%, FTE—down 2.7%; new freshmen and transfers were up.
II. Chair Report
1) attended the Board of Trustees meeting of last Thursday;
2) Senate officers met with the Provost today; the Provost will send to the President this week for his review an update regarding Pay for Performance; the Executive Committee will receive a copy of the final statement before release; major faculty concerns were expressed in a memo from the Chair to the administration sent in the fall; present Pay for Performance process included much faculty governance input.
3) met with the AAC Chair last Friday to discuss the Professional Satisfaction Survey.
III. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) Concern that health benefits coverage of discretionary medical services had been modified without notification.
2) An inquiry as to the enrollment projection for next fall; too early for assessment.
3) Noted the Arts and Sciences Chair’s Council preferred not to get raises if it resulted in unfilled faculty lines.
IV. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of January 11, 2005, were approved. (Shure, MacDonald 7-0-1)
V. Old Business
Draft of Handbook Language on Deans’ Reviews
Motion to approve. (Anderson, MacDonald )
Discussion focused on refinement of the draft.
Motion to table. (Frank, Shure 7-0-1)
Discussion will continue at the next meeting.
VI. New Business
Suggestions: provide faculty with free caps and gowns; greater acknowledgement of faculty in ceremony—march in with students from respective college; promote faculty involvement with students; mentor junior faculty of this responsibility; department chairs inform faculty of this responsibility; schedule prestigious outside speaker.
Standing Committee Replacements
Accept. (Shure, MacDonald 7-0-1)
AAC Professional Satisfaction Survey
Upon receipt of approved copy, the Chair will forward an electronic copy to the Executive Committee.
VII. Standing Committee Reports
No reports given.
The meeting adjourned at 5:39 p.m.