Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
B. Evans, B. Frank, P. Hightower, C. MacDonald, V. Sheets, S. Shure
Ex-Officio: J. Maynard
Visitor: L. Sperry
I. Administrative Report
1) reported he would be attending an appropriation committee meeting on Monday; shared information on the content of some upcoming House bills.
1) budget presentations by Deans and Vice Presidents were completed—the enrollment projection is the most important variable.
2) selection is underway for presidential scholars; seventeen letters have been mailed;
3) sabbatical leave decisions have been made and letters mailed; 35 applications reviewed: 27 approved, 3 conditionally approved, 5 denied.
II. Chair Report
1) the Board of Trustees met last Friday; faculty taking courses within own department continues to be an issue; work is needed to better inform departments and on enforcement; conversation will continue;
2) the chair and vice chair met with President Benjamin last Friday; meeting focused on the laptop initiative;
3) clarification that the addition of women’s golf to the University’s scholarship sports was made to comply with Title Nine; a change in the leadership of the oversight body affected the gauge for compliance making ISU noncompliant without this addition.
III. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) Article in the Tribune Star on the Notebook Initiative and planned forum by the local AAUP Chapter—Executive Committee members were encouraged to attend; noted that the University is currently fact finding on the initiative following approval by faculty governance of the concept and desire for more information.
IV. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of February 15, 2005, were approved. (MacDonald, Evans 8-0-1)
V. Old Business
FAC: Handbook Language for Special Purpose Faculty
Guest was invited to the table by acclamation.
Document removed from the table. (Frank, Anderson 8-0-1)
The Committee completed review. A final copy with suggested revisions incorporated with be acted upon at the next meeting.
Nominations to the Alliance for Community Engagement Committee
Nominees were forwarded to fill a vacancy on the Committee. Chair Hudson will contact the nominees and make placement.
VII. New Business
The meeting adjourned at 5:45 p.m.