Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
B. Evans, B. Frank, P. Hightower, C. MacDonald, V. Sheets, S. Shure
Ex-Officio: B. English
I. Administrative Report
1) budget discussions continue; an outline from the Budget Update and Planning Session held March 9 was distributed.
II. Chair Report
1) the first recipients of the Faculty Scholarship have been selected this week; two students will receive an award of $1000 divided between the spring and fall semesters;
2) Senate officers met with the provost today; discussion: Special Purpose Faculty document approved by the Executive Committee at last week’s meeting;
3) members are encouraged to attend tomorrow’s AAUP meeting.
III. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) Budget discussion: decision on the 4% budget reallocation should include individual academic unit examination—a blanket solution and decision would not be effective; worth to the University per student; effect on searches; reduction in telephone services ha not been discussed; Senate officers not included in mini-retreat budget presentations, resulting in lack of information and input. This after earlier assurances by administration of inclusive budget discussions.
2) Grade distribution—60% of grades are in the “A” and “B” category.
3) Low response to solicitation effort for the Faculty Scholarship.
4) Congratulations to the women’s basketball team—good representatives for the University.
IV. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of March 8, 2005, were approved. (Evans, Frank 6-0-1)
V. Old Business
FAC: Handbook Language for Special Purpose Faculty
Motion to amend and approve. (Frank, Shure 6-0-1)
Handbook Section IV – Compensation and Benefits
Page IV-3, Temporary Faculty
Insert the following after the last sentence of section:
….in the University staff
benefits program. Continuing part-time temporary
VI. New Business
Academic Calendar 2007-2008
After brief discussion, approved. (Lamb, Evans 6-0-1)
Relationship Between the CAAC and the Alliance MOU
Accepted. (Sheets, Anderson 6-0-1)
VII. Standing Committee Reports
Liaisons provided updates on committee activity.
The meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.