Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
S. Davis, J. Harper, N. Lawrence, R. Schneirov, V. Sheets, J. Tenerelli
Ex-Officio: Provost Maynard
Visitor: M. Sacopulos
By consensus the agenda order was suspended.
I. Minutes of the November 4 meeting were approved. (Harper, Tenerelli 7-0-1)
II. FAC Select Committee nominations were postponed until the next meeting.
III. Presentation: Codification of University Procedures
Melony Sacopulos explained her efforts to organize/centrally reference all the policies and procedures/operations within the University. Her intention is to make all documents electronically searchable. After her presentation there were many questions for clarity of purpose and procedure. She agreed that before the project is presented to the Board of Trustees it would be verified by faculty government in order to confirm our continued involvement in input and oversight.
Concerns were expressed as to how this would affect the status of the Handbook and assurance was given that this reorganization would not change the legal authority of policy in the Handbook. Executive Committee members felt that this issue was of paramount importance and more than assurance was needed. The Chair said that the Faculty Constitution and Bylaws must appear together in their own section in their current format. Archiving and security issues were noted and policies of faculty primary authority, i.e., tenure and promotion.
IV. Administrative Report
1) gave the Committee copies of “Indiana’s Framework for Policy and Planning Development in Higher Education.” He stated that the Commission for Higher Education’s P16 will be voted on this Friday. The agenda and packet can be found online at the CHE’s website. He strongly recommended ongoing discussion on campus about the ramifications to ISU of the two documents;
2) distributed to the Committee three “drafts for discussion only” of suggestions for committees on Student Credit Hour Review, Academic Deans Evaluation, and
Electronic Annual Faculty Activities Report. These will be discussed at the next meeting;
3) Special Purpose Faculty report will be presented next week;
4) looking into Diversity position search.
V. Chair Report
1) reported that the grievance pool is nearly together, and that dates have been established for grievance training;
2) stated that the Senate website subcommittee will meet this week with Susan Owens;
3) acknowledged that she has received input from the Deans regarding the School to College proposal, so the proposal will be presented to Senate in November;
4) indicated that there is concern about the scheduling of the Senate Dinner and Faculty Honors Dinner on the night of the April Senate meeting.
VI. Committee Actions
Committee Actions– after discussion and clarifications:
1) Acknowledged as received the search committee membership list for the Assistant Dean of the School of Graduate Studies; the URC guidelines for extension of time to use URC awards. (Davis, Tenerelli 8-0-1)
2) Agreed by consensus to hold Graduate Council recommendations for discussion at the next Executive Committee meeting.
VII. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
Since the parking issue has received so much Statesman press, it was suggested that there be discussion of the perceived issue at some point.
VIII. Standing Committee reports were given.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:35 p.m