Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
B. Frank, C. MacDonald, V. Sheets, J. Tenerelli
Ex-Officio: President Benjamin, Provost Maynard
Visitors: C. Hoffman, N. Hopkins, S. Thomas
I. Administrative Report
1) conveyed holiday greetings and noted preparations for the upcoming Board of Trustees meeting this Friday.
II. Chair Report
1) reported the Friday agenda for the Board of Trustees meeting had been revised to include the Life Sciences Department reorganization approved by the Faculty Senate in November. She noted this review met the desired timeline and that standard information had been forwarded to the Board.
2) updated on Senate membership adjustments for the Spring 2004 semester—two Executive Committee alternates and three Senate alternates will be seated; J. Tenerelli will begin an administrative fellow position, therefore, a new parliamentarian will need to be elected.
III. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) The Faculty Compensation Committee Report will be forwarded to the President tomorrow. By consensus the recommendation for adjustments follows market concerns uncovered by the consultant—adjustment amount result of percentage under market. Thanks to faculty serving on the Committee for their hard work, good research, and analysis of salaries. Desire expressed for continued pursuit of ways to address salary issues incrementally in the future.
2) Low student participation in priority registration noted; changes to process that would encourage greater student activity were discussed.
IV. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of November 9, 2004, were approved. (Frank, MacDonald 6-0-1)
V. Standing Committee Recommendations
FEBC: Tuition Benefits
Recommendation: Faculty and spouses or same sex domestic partners receive the same tuition benefit. This benefit shall be equal to 15-semester hours per annum at the reduced rate.
This action would decrease tuition amount paid by spouses.
Approved. (Tenerelli, Anderson 6-0-1)
FEBC: Technology Fee Prorating
Recommendation: The technology fee for faculty is prorated based on total enrolled courses. The prorated fee will be assessed at a rate of 1/12th of the technology fee per undergraduate course and 1/9th per graduate course; not to exceed 100% of the technology fee.
(Amended by friendly amendment)
Currently a flat fee amount is paid.
Approved as amended. (Frank, Sheets 6-0-1)
VI. Information Item
Guests invited to the table by acclamation.
A document outlining the current process used to assign classrooms was distributed. Difficulties encountered by department chairs and individual faculty with classrooms assigned by the current process were conveyed. Suggestions for improving the system and a commitment from the registrar to pursue those adjustments that can be made were given.
VII. New Business
VIII. Old Business
IX. Standing Committee Reports
Liaisons provided updates on standing committee activity.
The meeting adjourned at 5:2 1 p.m.