Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
P. Burkett, B. Evans, B. Frank, C. MacDonald, V. Sheets, J. Tenerelli
Ex-Officio: L. Benjamin, J. Maynard
I. Administrative Report
1) spoke about VU’s effort to offer four-year programs and administration’s counter measures.
2) ISU made the biennium budget presentation to the Indiana Commission for Higher Education last Friday.
3) mentioned various politicians who will be visiting campus.
4) about to open the search for an Athletic Director.
5) pleased in cooperative activities undertaken with President of Rose Hulman--lobbying mutually for funding.
ISU is exploring a policy of mandatory purchase of computers by all students; various purchase models are available.
II. Chair Report
1) noted President Benjamin’s address to the campus community of last Friday and next Monday’s Fall 2004 general faculty meeting—President Benjamin and Provost Maynard will address the faculty.
2) Chair and Vice Chair met with the Provost this morning to discuss general issues on the agenda.
3) relayed feedback received from E. Kinley and R. Kidder regarding concerns conveyed at the last meeting--electronic media, currently working with Novell on performance issues; book orders: personnel changes, buying issues, limited Banner accessibility.
III. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) Appreciation expressed for administrative efforts made regarding VU issue.
2) Noted the training opportunities offered by IT--very impressive offerings.
3) Complimented the Library on the recent Open House.
4) Voiced dissatisfaction for lengthy wait with no response for callers to Information Technology Help Desk—twenty minutes; full mailbox when trying to leave a message.
IV. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of September 7, 2004, were approved as amended. (Frank, MacDonald 8-0-1)
V. Old Business
VI. SAC Recommendation: National Survey Student Engagement Profiles (NSSE)
Response to charge: Review data from the NSSE and make recommendations for the enhancement of student life and learning.
Accepted. (Frank, Evans 7-0-1)
The Committee reviewed each item in the document and noted possible actions responding to areas of need. devised speculative action. NSSE is administered every other year—due this year. A copy is available on the Office of Strategic Planning and Institutional Research web site.
VII. New Business
Nominations for membership on the newly revived Intellectual Property Advisory Committee to advise Provost Maynard and Mark Green will be forwarded to the Chair for electronic approval.
The meeting adjourned at 5:26 p.m.