skip to main content
Indiana State University University Faculty Senate
EC#2
Approved,.
August 29, Minutes

Indiana State University
Faculty Senate 2006-07


Time:            3:15 p.m.  

Place:          Hulman Memorial Student Union 227

Present:       Chairperson S. Lamb, Vice Chair B. Evans, Secretary C. Hoffman

                     S. Davis, B. Frank, A. Halpern, J. Hughes, M. Miller, T. Mulkey                   

Ex-Officio:     Provost J. Maynard

Guests:         Sr. A.M. Anderson, K. Liu, S. Powers, V. Sheets

 

I.  Administrative Report – Provost Maynard

 

   1)  Official enrollment figures will be determined at 7:00 a.m. Wednesday (8-30-06).  Current   

   indications are that, compared to last year, freshman and graduate numbers will be up, transfer

   numbers down. Total enrollment is expected to be down, though higher than figures used for  

   budget projections.  FTE numbers are expected to be down approx. 3%.  We have not lowered

   admission standards to increase enrollment. (In answer to a question)

 

   2)  The ISU Foundation is exploring the possibility of a reduced rate for faculty wishing to

    purchase academic regalia.  More detail will be forthcoming.

 

II. Chair Report – S. Lamb

 

  Has heard positive comments about Tim O'Neil, new President of the ISU Foundation.

  Faculty are encouraged to attend the Foundation reception on Sept. 6.

 

 

III. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion

 

  1)  Reported that one student is operating a business from the residence hall.

       Difficulties of residence hall room reassignments early in the term.   

 

  2)  Some Financial Aid problems continue.  Provost will follow up on individual cases.

 

  3)  Pepsi has replaced Coca-Cola as exclusive soft drink vendor on campus.  A year of negotiation resulted in substantial benefit to the University, especially in athletics. 

Also, signage at athletic facilities will change because of renegotiation of that contract.

 

  4)  Some classes in the sciences are too large (200) to provide a good learning environment.  Budget constraints have limited our ability to adapt; departments have no flexibility. Students frequently have scheduling problems because existing classes meet at times they cannot attend and no alternate sections are available.  Lab sections are larger than existing facilities and equipment can accommodate. 

 

Provost Response:  Class size needs to be pedagogically sound and discipline specific.  We have fewer large classes than in prior years, and more small classes have been permitted to run.  We are trying to control costs but must also find academically sound solutions. 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                               EC # 2, 8/29/06

                                                                                                                                          Page 2     

    

5)  What is the purpose of President Benjamin's trip to China?  Is he seeking external funding?

     Provost:  The President will report specifics to the campus.

 

  6)  Did the President receive a stipend for his service as president of the Foundation?

     Provost:  Believes that he did.

 

       Did the President retain that stipend when he stepped down as Foundation president ?

     Provost:  Has no information.

 

       Has the President qualified for the $11K "incentive compensation" based on the 

       "performance criteria" referenced in the Board of Trustees' meeting of  4-28-06 ?

     Provost:  Has no information.  The Board meets 8-30-06 and may address that question.

 

 

IV. Minutes of  8-22-06 – APPROVED (Hughes, Miller 9-0-0).

           

V. Notebook Initiative -- Guests were invited to the table by acclamation. 

 

      1) Syllabus language – "models of suggested language" for course syllabi.

              APPROVED (Frank, Evans 9-0-0)

 

      2) Rights and Responsibilities Statement - Discussion as to proper place for the approved document to 

          appear. Consensus that it does not belong in the Handbook, but might be appropriate in an OIT

          publication or linked to laptop information on the ISU homepage.

              APPROVED AS AMENDED (Frank, Davis 9-0-0).

 

VI  Faculty Affairs Recommendations

 

       1)  Disposition of Grades – Handbook language.   K. Liu invited to the table by acclamation.

            Discussion – procedures when original instructor unavailable to remove grade of N or NX.

              APPROVED AS AMENDED (Frank, Hoffman 9-0-0).

 

       2) Academic Advising recommendations – "Developmental Advising"

 

            Discussion:  Very complicated document.  Whether and/or how advising should count as academic   

                 load.  Too many steps.  Appropriate involvement of deans' offices.  Focus must be on 

                 departments.  Different colleges have different systems. Prior approved statement on advising 

                 was adequate, but implementation did not occur.  

                              

                              Multiple amendments proposed (some passed) to correct deficiencies.

                              Consensus:  As presented, proposal is unworkable.

 

              FAILED (Davis, Mulkey 0-9-0)

 

       3)  Evaluation of Online Courses - Recommendation

 

           "…faculty teaching distance courses must conduct student evaluations in at least one of those  

                courses per year …."   Discussion of likely problems.

 

              TABLED (Davis, Frank 9-0-0)

 

          

 

                                                                                                                               EC # 2, 8/29/06

                                                                                                                                          Page 3   

    

 

 

VII.  Old Business

           

   1)  Faculty Dismissal Hearing Committee

 

        Harriet Hudson and Valentine Muyumba were selected by secret ballot.

 

   2) Standing Committee Charges

 

       The Committee went into executive session (Frank, Evans 8-0-0)

       The Committee came out of executive session (Miller, Hoffman 8-0-0)

 

       Initial Charges for AAC, AEC, CAAC, FAC – APPROVED (Davis, Miller 8-0-0)  

 

Discussion of Charges will continue at the next meeting. 

 

 

VIII. New Business

       None

 

The meeting adjourned at 6:13 p.m.  (Halpern, Miller – acclamation)

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

C. Hoffman, Secretary