skip to main content
Indiana State University University Faculty Senate
EC#17
Approved  .
February 5, Minutes.

Indiana State University
Faculty Senate 2007-08


 

Time:           3:15 p.m.  

Place:           HMSU, Room 227

Present:        Chair V. Sheets, Vice Chair A. Halpern, Secretary Sister A. M. Anderson

                     J. Fine, J. Hughes, M. Miller, S. Pontius, T. Sawyer, D. Worley

Ex-Officio:   R. English

Guests:         K. Schmid

 

I.                    Administrative Report

a.       We are in the final stages of promotion and tenure. There were 31 applications. The letters will start going out on Friday. We’re receiving sabbatical leaves and are starting on that process.

II.                 Chair Report

a.       Request to reorder the agenda in case there are questions or statements for R. English before he has to leave.

b.       Continuing to be questioned regarding the Benefits Review Committee, especially by people who are nearing retirement. J. Maynard is taking that message forward, but there is still no word about when they are going to meet.

c.       Questions are being raised regarding the Master Plan. There was a meeting of university chairs wherein questions were raised. The campus is very interested in the stages and process of planning, and the openness of that document, particularly given the purchase history of the university in recent months.

                                                         i.      R. English: VP Floyd has been requested to attend the next Chairs Council to respond to those questions. He has not responded to the invitation, yet.

                                                       ii.      He is scheduled to speak to AAC. He will be invited to speak to the Executive Committee after he meets with AAC.

d.       “I have been troubled recently by being witness to several instances of lack of civility in the interaction of colleagues with each other.” We should be respectful in our interactions, keeping our discourse focused on logic, language, and data.

III.               Fifteen Minutes Open Discussions

a.       A new faculty member went through the faculty orientation class, but appears to have been paid for only two-thirds. This has put a huge hole in the travel budget in the department, and he has had to pay for some of his travel out-of-pocket. R. English responded that he will be working with E. Kinley to resolve the issue.

b.       Are the many costly fences on the east side of campus part of the Master Plan? They are all over and seem to serve no purpose other than to mark what land is owned by the university.

                                                         i.      More houses in the 13th Street area near the tracks have been demolished. How much money is going into that? It has been said that a health sciences sports arena complex is going in. If raises are less than 4%, we’ll know why.

c.       A system should exist to tie merit to raises to help raise morale. Raises should not be a simple flat rate for everyone.

                                                         i.      An FEBC subcommittee is looking at this.

                                                       ii.      There are 3 components to this:  across the board, merit, and compression. How far can 4% go?

d.       Returning to the Master Plan:

                                                         i.      K. Runyan sent an email wherein he indicated that the desire is to have most of the initial work on plans done before President Benjamin’s tenure at the university is over. There are four master plans to be developed: the housing master plan – student Affairs responsibility, the athletic master plan – Student Affairs, the academic master plan – the provost’s office, the enrollment services master plan – VP for Enrollment Services. Within 60-90 days there should be information to share with the Trustees.

                                                       ii.      It would be backward to show the plans to the Trustees before anyone else.

e.       There is a false advertisement stating that the shuttle bus is a free service for students. It is not free. Students pay a $15 fee whether they use the bus service or not. Some students were unaware of the charge and are upset. It was pointed out that other students didn’t know that there is a Recreation Center fee.  Students were given a chance to vote on these fees, but they weren’t paying attention. Votes, polls, and referendums come around and only 10 % of the students vote, then they complain about how their money is being spent. Still, the advertisement is false and needs to be reworded. Suggestions for new wording for the ad were offered (i.e.: your fees at work).

f.        A forum discussion on sustainability will be held on February 20th.

g.       ISU is planning its first “green roof” building on campus.

h.       Continued excessive heat in classrooms was noted, again. Also noted was poor environmental control which caused mold and mildew problems in classrooms.

i.         According to D. Taylor, Media Relations Director in Communications and Marketing, OIT removed the Global archives, citing security concerns. What are these security risks? There seems to be a general lack of communications with IT. There is an IT survey coming out soon. This may be a good time to speak with E. Kinley to get an update on where they are in their strategic planning process. Appreciation was expressed for E. Kinley showing up at Senate meetings.

j.         Additional Chair Report – V. Sheets met with L. Maule, K. Schmid, and J. Maynard to get a briefing on the concept for the new general education program. The intent of the meeting was to discuss how best to proceed to get campus input. Another meeting is planned after the Provost returns.

k.       February 15th is the deadline for updating Faculty Report of Professional Activities. Many people were unaware of that. An extension was suggested. It was noted that the form is flawed and difficult to fill out.

l.         K. Buchholz will be leaving the Faculty Senate office on March 3rd. The position has been advertised, and has been expanded to ¾ time. A. Halpern, Sr. A.M. Anderson, and V. Sheets will be interviewing to fill the position.

IV.              Information Item: K. Schmid – Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA)

A handout was delivered and discussed.  The VSA is an attempt to avoid intrusion by the federal government. It is meant to provide consistent, comparable and transparent information on the characteristics of institutions and students, cost of attendance, student engagement with the learning process, and core educational outcomes. One to two hundred incoming freshmen and graduating seniors will be tested. The tests are voluntary and anonymous. The tests will cost approximately $15 each.

V.                 Additional 15 Minute Open Discussion Item:  A student was near tears with disappointment upon receiving diploma. ISU’s diplomas look cheap and badly printed. This student’s diploma was on card stock, the seal was wrinkled, and the print was misaligned. It was agreed that more attractive diplomas should be given.

VI.              Approval of Minutes – (Sawyer/Fine) Approved as amended  9-0-0

VII.            New Business:  Slating for URC

S. Kray to replace D. Martin (Pontius/Sawyer) 6-1-2

VIII.         Old Business – None

IX.               Committee Liaison Reports

a.       AAC is working on faculty and administrative count. The budget committee is working on resolving some issues. K. Runyan will meet with AAC to discuss the master plan.

b.       AEC – None

c.       CAAC met with D. Wright to get a report on academic integrity. This fall there was a record number of problems. An extra person may be requested to speed up the judicial process. Some of the new tougher policies are kicking in, and students need to know to take them more seriously. Some proposals from Technology Management are on hold for additional information. A proposal for a new minor in Human Resource Development was passed. Course description questions regarding credits and hours were addressed.

d.       FAC worked on issues involving affiliate faculty. A proposal will come to the Executive Committee soon. It recommends adding a 4th category, Affiliate Faculty, to the handbook along with Regular, Special Purpose, and Part Time Temporary Faculty. L. Sperry will present the document. Administration wants to be able to acknowledge Administration who teach a course. FAC will address plus/minus grades at the next meeting.

e.       FEBC has split into subcommittees. They will meet as a whole soon. Gastric bypass will be discussed soon.

f.        GC met last week with Provost Maynard re finding a new Chair.

g.       SAC is dealing with plus/minus grade issue and scheduling.

h.       URC will be sending a memo to propose changes in the allowance for student stipends. They are meeting on Friday to discuss submissions.

X.                 Entered executive session by consensus. 4:30 PM

Exited executive session 4:48 PM

 

Meeting adjourned 4:48 PM