Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson S. Lamb, Vice Chair V. Sheets, Secretary Sr. A. Anderson
V. Anderson, B. Evans, B. Frank, C. Hoffman, J. Hughes, S. Shure
Ex-Officio: Provost Maynard
I. Administrative Report
Provost Maynard reported:
1) appointments will soon be made to the Law School Taskforce; committee charge is being drafted;
2) Enrollment Taskforce: meetings have started for this semester; retention issues will be a focus;
3) budget predictions for Fall 2006 are better than expected; discussed budget scenarios to address budget shortfall.
II. Executive Session
Motion to move into executive session. (Hoffman, A. Anderson 9-0-0)
Motion to move out of executive session. (Hoffman, Evans 9-0-0)
III. Chair Report
Chair Lamb: no report.
IV. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) Request that the Program Prioritization process be completed before considering any departmental reorganizations; departmental reporting to the taskforce allows flexibility.
2) Request that the retirement window for 2007 be elongated; a large number of faculty retirements are scheduled for this term; expression of hope that the administration has plans to deal with this faculty attrition.
3) Concern expressed that several currently enrolled students have work from last semester unavailable to them within their campus network accounts.
4) Concern expressed that consolidation of the Faculty Senate Dinner and the Faculty Honors Dinner diminishes the importance of awards given to faculty and impinges upon the ceremony.
V. Motion to move into executive session. (Evans, Hoffman 9-0-0)
Motion to move out of executive session. (Evans, Hoffman 9-0-0)
Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of the January 17, 2006 meeting were approved. (Hoffman, Evans 9-0-0)
VI. Old Business
Handbook Language: Department Chairpersons
Motion to approve as amended. (Shure, Sheets 9-0-0)
Amendment: page 2, paragraph 6, “The chairperson should strive to develop sources of revenue for the department.”
VII. New Business
Executive Committee members will nominate members for the Law School Taskforce to forward to the Provost at next week’s meeting.
VIII. Motion to go into executive session. (Lamb, Anderson 9-0-0)
Motion to come out of executive session. (Hoffman, Sheets 9-0-0)
IX. Standing Committee Reports
Executive Committee liaisons provided updates on respective standing committee activity.
The meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.