Executive Committee (EC)
September 2, 2008 Minutes
INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Faculty Senate Executive Committee
September 2, 2008
Approved September 9, 2008
September 2, 2008 Minutes
Indiana State University
Faculty Senate 2008-09
a. Provost J. Maynard stated that he had nothing further to report other than what he
reported at the last EC meeting on August 19, 2008. The Provost reiterated some of the information he reported on at that meeting mainly related to ISU’s status on enrollment.
a. Chair of Grad Studies invited two EC members to serve on taskforces (ETD/New
b. Faculty nominations for AA & Diversity Search Committees
c. BOT Retreat on Thursday (Chair will attend; officers for lunch)
d. Proposed Change in President’s Office: Director of Internal Communication to
parallel Director of External Relations
a. Discussion on Facilities Master plan and President’s strategic planning initiative.
Budgetary issues related to Athletics and repairs for Memorial
Stadium, ISU track maintenance,
IV. New Business
a. Report by J. Gatrell – Priorities for Grad office/Discussion
1) Proposal for electronic dissertations and on line template for writing papers. Create workshop for students related to new processes.
2) Expand capacity for new programs – e.g., Master of Arts in Liberal Studies.
3). Planned move to DARs for a less error-prone check-out process.
4) Streamline transfer and waiver process so that it is email based.
5) Improve work flow and create a stronger team environment.
6) Review problems related to graduate school admissions and filing system.
7) Improve relationships between GC and Faculty Senate. GC is a standing
committee of Senate and some noted that policies were often
implemented without coming to Senate for review/approval.
b. Standing Committee Slates were approved SA/SP (9-0-0)
1) Discussion about need for all committees. Sheets offered that survey suggested they didn’t meet. Created a charge to have reviewed. EC committee determined that they would handle charge directly. Sheets to provide results of survey next week.
2) Discussion about service of administrative fellows. Rule has been that if fellowship is ½ time or less, service (including voting) is allowed, with expectation that fellow would abstain (like all faculty) on matters on which they have external input or control.
d. Standing Committee Charges Draft.
Sheets reviewed rational/origin of charges for each committee.
Approval was tabled until the next EC meeting. September 9 meeting will start at 4:30, following President’s address.