Executive Committee (EC)
September 9, 2008 Minutes
INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Faculty Senate Executive Committee
September 16, 2008
Approved September 30, 2008
September 16, 2008 Minutes
Indiana State University
Faculty Senate 2008-09
Present: V. Sheets, S.A.M.
Anderson, J. Fine, A. Halpern, C. Hoffman,
S. Lamb, S.
T. Sawyer, D. Worley
Guests: Provost J. Maynard, M. E. Linn, R. Mundell and Sara Monday (reps from ISU Book Store).
a. V. Sheets indicated that he drafted a memo to the President and Provost regarding
the All University Committees that have a history of not meeting. He stated that they will review the memo and get back to us at a later date.
b. Frank Bell queried Virgil on the progress of the faculty benefits committee. He
was told that the Senate will continue to support their work.
The minutes of September 9, 2008 were approved. (TS/SL) 9-0-0.
Book Store discussion with R. Mundell, ISU Book store representative and M.A. Linn related to student text book orders.
· Students are not getting their text books on time for the first day of classes.
· The lack of an inter-connected electronic inventory system in place to check orders.
· A fundamental breakdown in communication between all parties involved.
· Improve communication policy.
· Shrink wrap books and deliver to individual dorm rooms at beginning of each semester (bundle books).
· Hire more personnel to assist with book orders.
· Check into the possibility of some kind of electronic inventory system for book ordering.
· Perhaps each academic department on campus would have their own liaison to oversee text book orders.
a. Bids were sent out for University planning and use of land. Three bids were received. The planning process will engage the campus at large and will be
incorporated into the President’s strategic plan.
b. A second University lawyer will be hired as legal assistant to the University lawyer.
c. There were 6 applicants for the Affirmative Action position, an internal search. The Chief Diversity Officer national search is expected to take a month to six weeks.
d. There are 30-32 faculty searches approved. The search for a new dean of the Library will begin in the next couple of weeks.
e. The committee for Enrollment/Retention is still meeting every Monday.
V. Fifteen Minutes Open Discussion
a. Provost Maynard stated that the University presently has less than ½ million dollars to invest in new programs.
b. Possibility of developing a plan for a pooling of sick days.
a. New committee charges revisions approved. (CH/AH) 9-0-0
b. Nominations for University Athletics from COB – Bill Wilhelm and nominees for the President’s Diversity Council – Rhonda Impink and Tom Steiger approved (AH/TS) 8-0-1.
VII. Old Business
a. FAC, AAC and SAC will be asked to send a single, agreed-on recommendation on Dead Week and calendar issues to the Executive Committee. V. Sheets stated that he will contact the present with the request. (DW/TS) 9-0-0.