You are here
Recreation and Sport Management - CIAAA option
Want more information? Complete our Information Request Form.
Indiana State University and the Canadian Interscholastic Athletic Administrator Association proudly announce the delivery of a new Master of Science in Sport Management, articulating the CIAAA – Leadership Training Courses (LTC) with Indiana State University graduate coursework. For the very first time, LTC’s taken via the CIAAA professional development system can lead to a Master of Science degree in Sport Management.
Who is eligible
Effective March 2013, the Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport in Indiana State University began the ISU - CIAAA Articulated Online Master’s degree in Sport Management. The CIAAA is the Canadian Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association.
This program is open only to practicing interscholastic athletic directors (high school or junior high school, or middle school) and associate/assistant athletic directors, who are members of the CIAAA.
How it works
Apply to the Indiana State University - College of Graduate and Professional Studies for the Master of Science degree in Sport Management.
A complete application includes:
- An online completed application. (There is a $45.00 application processing fee.)
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or a master’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required.
- A Statement of Purpose essay - included in the application process - that describes your area of interest. Describe what experience you have in your field, your research (if applicable), and how graduate school will help you reach your career goals.
- One complete set of official transcripts of all previously earned credits to be sent directly to Graduate Admissions, Welcome Center, 318 North Sixth Street, Terre Haute, IN 47809-1904
- A list of three (3) references (name, title, e-mail address, phone number)
- A resume or curriculum vita (CV)
- The student can transfer up to nine credits of comparable graduate coursework with a grade of “B” or better.
- Fall Cohort (August start) - May 15 with final decision by May 31
- Summer Cohort (May start) - March 15 with final decision by March 31
Applications are reviewed once a month by the faculty.
The review dates for the 2016-2017 academic year are as follows:
Upon acceptance into the program the student will be able to transfer credits from other accredited graduate programs that are equivalent to Indiana State University requirements with grades of a “B” or better.
- Will also be able to transfer CIAAA – Leadership Training Courses to Indiana State University.
- For every three LTC’s (see the Indiana State University - CIAAA Course Conversion Plan), the student will be provided credit for an Indiana State University course.
- The total number of transfer credits allowable is nine (9).
Students can also gain credit - up to nine (9) hours - toward ISU courses through “Previous Learning Assessment.”
This is accomplished by
- completing the three LTC’s articulated to an Indiana State University course (see the Indiana State University - CIAAA Course Conversion Plan and
- passing a comprehensive examination with a grade of 80% or better.
- The student will be charged for the test administration and tuition at the rate of 25% of the eligible out-of-state online student tuition fees.
- The exams are jointly prepared by Indiana State University and the CIAAA.
The remaining 18 credits required for the degree completion will be taken through distance education courses.
The internship course (SPM 629) and research project (SPM 692) will also be completed through distance education in consultation with the Graduate Coordinator.
- The internship experience usually takes place at the organization where the CIAAA member is currently employed.
The total cost of the program WITHOUT transfer credits or Credit-by-Examination is approximately $18,000.
- If the student transfers nine (9) credits and complete nine (9) credits through Credit-by-Examination, the cost would be approximately $10,300.
- It is important to remember these cost figures are estimates and could be slightly higher or lower.
Students have up to seven (7) years to complete the Master’s degree from the semester they begin.
Send all inquiries to:
Dr. Matt Blaszka
Assistant Professor – Sport Management
Sport Management Graduate Coordinator
Sport Management Undergraduate Internship Coordinator
C37 Health & Human Services Building
Terre Haute, IN 47809