You are here
Sport Management - NIAAA option
Want more information? Complete our Information Request Form.
Indiana State University proudly announces the delivery of a new Master of Science in Sport Management opportunity articulating the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association - LTI Courses with Indiana State University graduate coursework.
The 100% Online Master of Science in Sport Management has been designed to meet the demands of working interscholastic athletic administrators. This web-based program is targeted to highly motivated individuals and will allow students the ability to increase their understanding of the field of Athletic Administration without altering their personal and professional schedules. Emphasis is placed on preparing individuals for the ever-changing economic, political, legal, and marketing concerns that are a part of the sports industry.
Who is eligible
Effective August 2012, the Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport began the Indiana State University - NIAAA Articulated Online Master's degree in Sport Management. This program is open to only practicing interscholastic athletic administrators (high school or junior high school, or middle school) and associate/assistant athletic directors who are members of the NIAAA.
How it works
Apply to the Indiana State University - College of Graduate and Professional Studies for the Master of Science degree in Sport Management.
The following are the steps for applying to the College of Graduate and Professional Studies (CGPS) and the Master of Science in Sport Management:
A complete application includes:
- An online completed application. (There is a $45.00 application processing fee.)
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or a master’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required.
- A Statement of Purpose essay - included in the application process - that describes your area of interest. Describe what experience you have in your field, your research (if applicable), and how graduate school will help you reach your career goals.
- One complete set of official transcripts of all previously earned credits to be sent directly to Graduate Admissions, Welcome Center, 318 North Sixth Street, Terre Haute, IN 47809-1904
- A list of three (3) references (name, title, e-mail address, phone number)
- A resume or curriculum vita (CV)
- The student can transfer up to nine credits of comparable graduate coursework with a grade of “B” or better.
- Fall Cohort (August start) - May 31, 2018
- Summer Cohort (May start) - March 15, 2018
Applications are reviewed once a month by the faculty.
Review dates for the 2017-2018 academic year
- September 28
- October 25
- November 15
- December 13
- January 31
- February 28
- March 28
- April 25
- May 31
Upon acceptance into the program the student will be able to transfer credits from other accredited graduate programs that are equivalent to Indiana State University requirements with grades of a “B” or better.
- Will also be able to transfer CIAAA – Leadership Training Courses to Indiana State University.
- For every three LTC’s (see the Indiana State University - NIAAA Course Conversion Plan, the student will be provided credit for an Indiana State University course.
- The total number of transfer credits allowable is nine (9).
Students can also gain credit - up to nine (9) hours - toward ISU courses through “Previous Learning Assessment.”
- This is accomplished by
- completing the three LTC’s articulated to an Indiana State University course (see the Indiana State University - NIAAA Course Conversion Plan and
- passing a comprehensive examination with a grade of 80% or better.
- The student will be charged for the test administration and 25% of the applicable tuition rate (Find your tuition rate).
- The exams are jointly prepared by Indiana State University and the NIAAA.
The remaining 18 credits required for the degree completion will be taken through distance education courses.
The internship course (SPM 629) and research project (SPM 692) will also be completed through distance education in consultation with the Graduate Coordinator.
The total cost of the program WITHOUT transfer credits or Credit-by-Examination is approximately $18,000.
- If the student transfer nine (9) credits and complete nine (9) credits through Credit-by-Examination, the cost would be approximately $10,300 or less.
- It is important to remember these cost figures are estimates and could be slightly higher or lower.
Students have up to seven (7) years to complete the Master’s degree from the semester they begin.
Upon completion of the program,
Participants will be able to apply for certification through the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association to be a Certified Athletic Administrator or Certified Master Athletic Administrator. Learn more about the certification process from the NIAAA website.
Send all inquiries to:
Dr. Matt Blaszka
Assistant Professor – Sport Management
Sport Management Graduate Coordinator
Sport Management Undergraduate Internship Coordinator
C37 Health & Human Services Building
Terre Haute, IN 47809