April 2 2008
“As we determined earlier, we would like to bring two or three candidates to campus for a series of public forums and meetings. I do not believe it appropriate to bring only one finalist to campus for consideration,†said Alley.
Alley indicated he has asked the Presidential Search Committee to re-convene and has requested that the search consultant once again review the marketplace and identify additional candidates for the committee’s consideration.
The remaining candidate is expected to continue to be a finalist along with one or two additional finalists selected through the renewed search effort, Alley said. The finalists will be brought to campus for two-day interview sessions that will include open forums for students, faculty, support staff, professional and administrative staff, alumni and the community.
While the re-opening of the search delays the process slightly, Alley indicated that he is still hopeful a new president can be identified and appointed by the July 1 start date.
The new president will succeed Lloyd W. Benjamin III, who announced his intentions last year to step down as president in June 2008.
Media contact: Teresa Exline, university spokesperson, 812-237-7783 or texline@indstate.edu
Indiana State University will re-open the search for the institution's eleventh president following a decision by one of the two remaining finalists to drop out of contention due to health reasons, Michael Alley, president of the university's Board of Trustees, announced.