No injuries, damage limited in fire at University Apartments

December 2 2008

No one was injured and damage was confined to a single apartment following a fire early today (Dec. 2) at Indiana State University's University Apartments, which houses primarily graduate students and their families.

The fire was reported at 6:40 a.m. in Unit 4 of the University Apartments Complex at 101 Crawford St. in Terre Haute. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, with damage confined to the kitchen and living room of the second floor apartment.

All occupants of the 112-unit, four-story apartment building were allowed to return to their homes by 8:15 a.m. The single resident of the damaged apartment is the only person who has been displaced by the fire.

Cause of the fire appears to be careless disposal of cigarettes, according to an initial investigation by the Terre Haute Fire Department.

Residents of the apartment unit were quickly evacuated and the university's emergency plans worked as designed, said John Beacon, vice president for enrollment management, marketing and communications.

"Whenever there is an incident such as this, we use the opportunity to examine our practices and work to further educate residents about fire safety," Beacon said.

-30-

Media contact and writer: Dave Taylor, media relations director, Office of Communications & Marketing, Indiana State University, 812-237-3743 or dave.taylor@indstate.edu

Bookmark and Share

Story Highlights

No one was injured and damage was confined to a single apartment following a fire early today (Dec. 2) at Indiana State University\\\'s University Apartments.

Bookmark and Share