Graduate Assistant Stipends and Fee Waivers in Grants

If you have or plan to pursue external funds and will include graduate assistants in your project, you should be aware that there are two components of financial support for graduate assistants and fellows.  There is the stipend (assistantship), and the tuition remission (fee waiver).

If the funding agency permits it, you should include funds in your grant request to support both graduate student stipends and tuition remission.  If you are going to request tuition support from the University, you must arrange for this support from the Dean of the Graduate School.  You should contact the Graduate School for current tuition rates