what should i do if i'm sexually assaulted?


      Get to a safe place.  Your safety is most important!

      Contact someone who can help you:

           -Vigo County SART (Sexual Assault Response Team):

                1-800-566-CODA (2632) or 812-232-1736

           -Police: 911 or 812-237-5555

           -ISU Student Counseling Center: 812-237-3939

           -National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

           -A friend

      Get medical attention.  Even with no physical injuries, it is important to determine the risks of STDs and pregnancy.

      If you want to take legal action:

           -An ISU or Vigo County Victim Advocate can help you through this process.

           -To preserve forensic evidence, ask the hospital to conduct a rape kit exam.  This must be done within 72 hours of the occurrence of the assault.

           -If you suspect that you may have been drugged, ask that a urine sample be collected.  The sample will need to be analyzed later on by a forensic lab.

           -Write down everything that you remember happening, with as much detail as possible.  This can help with your own healing process and in any legal action you might decide to take.

      If you do not want to press charges:

           -You can still have a rape kit done, in case you change your mind later about taking legal action.

           -You can also contact the Dean of Students (812-237-8111), who can discuss your options about taking action through the university rather than the legal system.

      Recognize that healing from rape takes time.  Give yourself the time you need.

      Call the ISU Student Counseling Center for free, confidential counseling 812-237-3939.

      Call the National Sexual Assault Hotline, operated by RAINN, for free, confidential counseling, 24 hour a day: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673); www.rainn.org


There are options; get yourself help.