You are here
Computer Engineering Technology (CET)
The computer engineering technology program at Indiana State University prepares students for careers as technical professionals in an environment that requires a practical, problem-solving approach. The course work emphasizes hands-on skills with modern productivity tools (e.g. design, analysis, control, diagnostic, and project management tools).
The program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET. In addition, the program is accredited by the Association of Technology, Management and Applied Engineering (ATMAE).
Program Educational Objectives
Indiana State's computer engineering technology program is distinctive in its emphasis on blending classroom learning with practical experience and extracurricular activities that result in exciting and challenging study.
Graduates of the Indiana State University Computer Engineering Technology Program will be able to demonstrate:
- Technical competency and technical proficiency by applying general and disciplinary reasoning and critical thinking to identify, analyze, and solve problems.
- Communication skills in both oral and written form to articulate technical knowledge, ideas, and proposals to peers, senior management, and other potentially diverse audiences.
- Managerial organizational skills, and increasing managerial skills at higher levels of management in their chosen field.
- Ethical, social, and professional responsibility through an awareness of the impact of professional, ethical, and social responsibility in the practice of engineering technology in the state of Indiana and in a diversified world.
- Teamwork mentality through the ability to function effectively and think independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Lifelong learning by a continuing individual desire and commitment to remain technically current by engaging in continuous self-improvement and lifelong learning.
Student Learning Outcomes
The computer engineering technology program learning outcomes are developed to fulfill program educational objectives, encompass the Technology Accreditation Commission/Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. general criteria, and address specific criteria for a computer engineering technology program. To this end, the following outcomes have been developed to represent the desired capabilities of students who, upon graduation, should have the ability to:
- Apply principles of mathematics, science, engineering technology, and programming languages to solve technical problems in broad technical areas including digital systems, computer hardware, electronics, and networking.
- Use modern computational and simulation tools for technical problem solving, analysis, and design.
- Incorporate systematic methods and emerging technology to identify, formulate, and generate original solutions within the fields of computer engineering technology.
- Conduct experiments competently in a laboratory setting including making measurement and operating equipments; collecting and critically examining data; interpreting, reporting, and applying results for the purpose of understanding and improving practical systems.
- Apply fundamental management principles and techniques in business operations, and display leadership qualities in organizing teams and reconciling differences.
- Understand the impact of technology in a global and social context, and develop professional and ethical responsibility.
- Engage in lifelong learning to pursue increasing knowledge of current and emerging technical and non-technical issues.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with members of various backgrounds and personalities in multi-disciplinary teams, and to value and respect cultural diversity.
- Communicate with clarity and conciseness both verbally and in writing with peers, clients, and targeted audiences.
Our graduates obtain professional positions in a variety of areas, including: computer applications in industrial processes, computerized manufacturing, instrumentation and controls, technical sales, and field service.
A few of the employers who hire our graduates include: Allen-Bradley Applied Extrusion Technologies Crane Naval Depot Delco Electronics Hewlett-Packard Lilly Pharmaceutical Merck Chemical Mobile New Castle Engineering Public Service Indiana Siemens Corporation TRW.