Reserve Educational
Assistance Program (REAP)

home / benefits programs / reap    


This is an education benefit for Selected Reserve and Individual Ready Reserve members ordered to active duty by the President for a contingency operation or national emergency. You may be eligible if you meet the following:

  • You must be a member of a reserve component who has served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 for a period of 90 days or more under a contingency operation.
  • You must be degree seeking (have a declared major), or be an Open Preference student, not to exceed two semesters. (Note: For certificates, endorsements, and licensure programs, check with the VA for approval.)
  • For further information, visit VA Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) or call 1-888-442-4551.
  • If you are eligible for REAP, you also may be eligible for The Post-9/11 GI Bill®.
  • If you think you may be eligible for this benefit, you should apply. Instructions are provided below. Upon receipt of your application, Veterans Affairs will review your file, and notify you regarding your eligibility, typically within 8-10 weeks.
  • In addition to Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) benefits, Army and Air National Guard members may eligible for the National Guard Supplemental Grant, which pays for tuition. This benefit is provided by the state of Indiana and is in addition to benefits provided by the Veterans Administration. For eligibility requirements and instructions, visit the State Student Assistance Commission of Indiana.

Note:  In addition to applying for veterans educational benefits, our office recommends that all ISU students completing degrees (or pursing required teacher certifications), complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by March 10 each year to ensure that they will be considered for all possible types of funding, including state and federal financial aid, loans, grants, and work-study programs.


The individual monthly benefit depends on the amount of active duty time. The number of months of entitlement under REAP is 36 months.

How To Apply for Education Benefits

For instructions and on-line application, go to:

  Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)
   Department of Veterans Affairs


In order to receive veterans educational benefits, students must verify enrollment.

  Verify with ISU (each semester): ISU form
  Verify with VA (each month): VA form


Students must report a change in major or program by contacting the Office of Registration and Records at (812) 237-2020.

Failure to report a change in major or program may result in delay or loss of payment of educational benefits.


For information, assistance—or to schedule an appointment, contact:

Veterans Services Coordinator
Indiana State University
Welcome Center, room 118
318 North Sixth Street
Terre Haute, Indiana

To help us serve you better, please indicate that you are interested in assistance with veterans benefits when you contact our office.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Last updated: September 3, 2014