You are here

Additional Local Information

Planning your Homecoming visit

Please use the following links to plan your trip for Homecoming 2023:

Arts, Culture & Entertainment



Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce

Planning a Homecoming event 

Information about how to plan an event is provided below:

City of Terre Haute Special Event Permit 

Events that are open to the general public where dancing is indulged/permitted and live music will be present, the event organizer (alumni events, student organization events, community events, etc.) may also be required to file for a Terre Haute Special Event Permit. Applications must be submitted no later than 10 business days in advance of the event. The sooner the application is submitted the better since the city must review each application. Applications must be obtained from the Board of Public Works, located at City Hall on the 1st floor. The application requests the following information:  

  • Basic information & criminal background for the person hosting the event and the Owner of the business or property where the event will be held (if different from the event host) 
  • Date, start/end time, and location of the event 
  • Information regarding whether the event is open to the public, advertised, and/or admission fee charged. Please note that if you are promoting your event on social media, it may be considered a public event and would be required to have the required permit.  
  • Detailed security plan for the event that shall include, but is not limited to, the projected number of attendees, the number of dedicated security officers, and emergency/evacuation procedures 
  • Certificate of Insurance  
  • Events that fall under this permit may not occur between the hours of 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM, and the permit fee is $50. 


If you are curious to see if your event would require a permit, please view this PowerPoint Presentation about Special Event Permits, or you may contact the Board of Public Works & Safety by calling (812) 244-2333, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., to confirm whether or not a permit will be required for your event. 


ISU fraternities, sororities, and student organizations are expected to register social activities with either the Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) office or the Campus Life office. The FSL office is able to oversee and enforce the registration and accountability of organizations within the umbrella. 


This process applies to events that occur on or off campus (i.e. regardless of location or time of year). Social events include parties, socials/paired gatherings, DJ/band parties, formals, receptions, theme parties, hayrides, tailgating, alumni receptions, parent/family events, and/or other events where alcohol may be present.  


Information regarding the student organization, fraternity, and sorority policies