Learning Disabilities, Emotionally Handicapped, Mental Retardation, or Gifted and Talented (Endorsement)


Individuals with the (initial) Rules 46-47 Standard Teaching License who are interested in becoming specially licensed to teach students with learning disabilities or mental retardation, the emotionally handicapped, or the gifted and talented should contact Education Student Services, Bayh College of Education. A non-degree program is available at the graduate level for this purpose.

Required Courses

In addition, the Educator Preparation Program at Indiana State University is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. This accreditation covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator preparation programs.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Graduate students may be eligible for federal student loans if they are admitted into graduate degrees (or first-time teacher certification programs) and meet other eligibility requirements. Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Private alternative loans can help students pay college expenses that may not be covered by federal loan programs or other financial aid. For more information, visit financial aid.

In addition, students may be eligible for payment plans and veterans benefits. On-campus degree-seeking students may be eligible for special scholarships for residents of Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio, and the Midwest Consortium.

Further Information

For further information and assistance, contact:

Education Student Services
Bayh College of Education
Indiana State University


The Graduate Catalog and Undergraduate Catalog of Indiana State University are the documents of authority for all students. The requirements given in the catalogs supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time.