Health Sciences (D.H.Sc.)
The online Doctorate of Health Sciences (D.H.Sc.) prepares practicing health care professionals to assume leadership roles in academic and/or clinical and research settings. The degree also prepares graduates to develop and implement solutions to health issues in society and to teach in academic and clinical settings
- The online Doctorate of Health Sciences includes 66 credit hours. The program requires students to successfully complete a minimum of 48 credit hours of graduate work beyond a master’s degree and to write and defend an original doctoral dissertation (18 credits).
- The D.H.Sc. Program is distinguished by its interdisciplinary approach, including completion of coursework in applied health sciences, nursing, educational psychology, and curriculum, instruction, and media technology.
- The program meets evidence-based competencies and areas of practice within the health field. The curriculum has a strong focus on pedagogy and development of research skills within health professions.
- Courses are offered in biostatistics, epidemiology, health policy, social and behavioral sciences, and environmental health. Courses are taught by experienced faculty members recognized at local, state, national, and international levels.
- The program is open to eligible students in the U.S. (including the District of Columbia and all U.S. territories). The program also is open to students in Canada (all provinces). The program is closed to students residing in countries other than the U.S. and Canada except for U.S. military and State Department personnel and their family members with APO/FPO addresses.
The Doctorate of Health Sciences Program prepares students to understand management and faculty roles, to plan and implement effective programs, to work within a healthcare system with other professionals, and to improve critical thinking skills.
Outcomes for the program include students’ ability to:
- Function in a leadership role in the academic and/or clinical and research setting;
- Communicate and collaborate with interprofessional health care teams to facilitate the attainment of common goals and to advance the scientific bases of knowledge in the health profession via ongoing research and scholarship;
- Perform their duties in a manner sensitive to diverse racial, ethnic, gender, religious, and other social groups by integrating basic principles of ethics and cultural sensitivity within all professional and interpersonal activities;
- Analyze critically and solve a variety of clinical, cultural, psychosocial, and/or managerial problems;
- Demonstrate competency in oral, written and electronic modes of communication, using both scholarly and technical formats;
- Design and provide quality instruction in the academic and/or clinical setting;
- Design, conduct, defend and disseminate original scholarly work to generate knowledge in their field.
The online Doctorate of Health Sciences prepares professionals from health and health-related fields to be leaders, educators, researchers, and scholars. Graduates are prepared to solve problems creatively and integrate appropriate technologies and basic principles of ethics and cultural sensitivity within all professional activities to address state, national, and global health problems.
Financial Aid & Assistance
Graduate students may be eligible for federal student loans if they are admitted into graduate degrees (or first-time teacher certification programs) and meet other eligibility requirements. Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Private alternative loans can help students pay college expenses that may not be covered by federal loan programs or other financial aid. For more information, visit financial aid.
For further information and assistance, contact:
The Graduate Catalog and Undergraduate Catalog of Indiana State University are the documents of authority for all students. The requirements given in the catalogs supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time.