Sport Management (M.S.)
Indiana State University offers an online master of science (M.S.) in sport management for working professionals who have experience in public or private organizations and now seek a graduate-level degree to further their education and foster career advancement. The M.S. focuses on preparing students to provide leadership and excel in the growing discipline of sport management.
- The online master's degree in sport management is a 36-credit-hour (minimum) program.
- The program requires an additional 3 credit hours for those students not having a sport management major or minor.
- Students are permitted to transfer up to nine credits of comparable graduate coursework with a grade of "B" or better.
- The program includes a focus on preparing students to enter the growing discipline of sport management, with specific emphasis on governance of sport, sport marketing, sport finance, event and facility planning, sport law, and management functions.
- As a nationally recognized program, the M.S. offers students a unique opportunity to take advantage of the three primary employment segments in the sport industry: performance, production, and promotion.
- The program engages students through both a research project and an internship opportunity included in the program curriculum.
- Students may take up to 7 years to complete the program and earn the degree.
- All courses are offered online. On-campus visits are not required.
- This online program is open to eligible students in the U.S. (including the District of Columbia and all U.S. territories). The program also is open to students in Canada (all provinces). The program is closed to students residing in countries other than the U.S. and Canada except for U.S. military and State Department personnel and their family members with APO/FPO addresses.
The core content of the graduate program emphasizes eight competency areas established by the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM). These emphasis areas include:
- Leadership, management, and organization of sport
- Research methods and applications
- Legal aspects of and risk management in sport
- Marketing of sport programs and facilities
- Sport in the social context
- Financial management of sport programs
- Ethics in sport management
Upon graduation, students will enter the commercial, professional sport, collegiate sport, campus recreation, military recreational sport programming, nonprofit sports programs, elite amateur sports (USOC), or community sports programs. The graduate program was designed to keep the instructor-to-student ratio small, allowing opportunities for students and faculty to develop close working relationships.
Graduates of this program are qualified to be specialists who will have the expertise to:
- Assume supervisory and administrative positions in interscholastic athletics, intercollegiate athletics, professional sports, elite amateur athletics, campus and military recreational sports programs, and facility and event management
- Provide leadership, management, and organization of sport in areas including K-12 and higher education, professional sports organizations, and community-based/amateur athletic programs
- Assume financial and marketing management responsibility for public and private sport programs
Financial Aid & Assistance
Graduate students may be eligible for federal student loans if they are admitted into graduate degrees (or first-time teacher certification programs) and meet other eligibility requirements. Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Private alternative loans can help students pay college expenses that may not be covered by federal loan programs or other financial aid. For more information, visit financial aid.
For further information and assistance, contact:
The Graduate Catalog and Undergraduate Catalog of Indiana State University are the documents of authority for all students. The requirements given in the catalogs supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time.