TESL and Linguistics (M.A.)
The University offers an online master of arts (M.A.) in TESL and Linguistics that provides graduates with the skills and experiences needed to achieve their career goals in teaching English as second or foreign language to speakers of other languages and in linguistics study. The program also is a prominent degree for students who desire to continue graduate study at the Ph.D. level in TESL, TESOL, Second Language Acquisition, or Applied Linguistics.
- The M.A program in TESL and Linguistics is unique because of the close interaction and mentorship students have with faculty and many applied opportunities.
- Coursework in this 32-credit (minimum) program includes a research course, a core course, and electives selected from graduate coursework offered within the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics. This focus on elective coursework enables students to tailor the program to meet their particular career goals.
- Other requirements include successful completion of a culminating experience.
- In addition, students must satisfy the following non-native language requirement: at least two years of a non-native language at the university level as evidenced by academic transcripts with a grade of C or better in the culminating intermediate-level course; results on the Indiana State University placement test beyond the 202 level; or, when those are unavailable, independent testing arranged through the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics.
- The program is designed to be completed in four semesters, with students entering in the fall and graduating the spring semester of their second year. Students may take summer classes in order to graduate in December of their second year. However, completing the M.A. in less than two years is more difficult as it requires a faster completion of the M.A. culminating experience.
- Up to 9 credits may be transferred to the M.A. program. A minimum of 23 credits must be taken within the department.
- All courses are offered online. Campus visits are not required.
- This online program is open to eligible students in the U.S. (including the District of Columbia and all U.S. territories). The program also is open to students in Canada (all provinces). The program is closed to students residing in countries other than the U.S. and Canada except for U.S. military and State Department personnel and their family members with APO/FPO addresses.
The M.A. in TESL and Linguistics provides graduates with the skills and hands-on experiences needed to achieve their career goals in teaching English as second or foreign language to speakers of other languages as well as careers in linguistics and/or language learning in the private sector. Additionally, the program is excellent preparation for graduate study at the Ph.D. level in TESL, TESOL, Second Language Acquisition, or Applied Linguistics.
Listed below are testimonials of some of our graduates about how rewarding the program was for them, from gaining research and teaching experiences to attending professional development conferences, and to interning with our faculty.
Financial Aid & Assistance
Graduate students may be eligible for federal student loans if they are admitted into graduate degrees (or first-time teacher certification programs) and meet other eligibility requirements. Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Private alternative loans can help students pay college expenses that may not be covered by federal loan programs or other financial aid. For more information, visit financial aid.
In addition, students may be eligible for payment plans and veterans benefits.
*Application fees are currently waived for the Virtual Instruction Graduate Certificate*
For further information and assistance, contact:
The Graduate Catalog and Undergraduate Catalog of Indiana State University are the documents of authority for all students. The requirements given in the catalogs supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time.