You are here
NFI: Know Thyself
Step 1: Know Thyself (Self-Discovery and Assessment)
- Assess your skills, strengths, interests, and values. BE HONEST! Make a detailed list – recognize what makes you a unique candidate and be ready to communicate this to a prospective employer (refer to your Personal Development Plan). (Hint – use MyPlan assessments)
- Update your resume using this list. Use your power words and examples of skill application. Use industry-specific language. (HINT – set the job description beside your resume and compare) Be able to connect the dots for the employer from the job requirements to you.
Special to Internships
What interests, skills, or talents do you want to use or learn in your internship? Is your internship a vehicle to be used to:
- base a decision on an academic major?
- try out a particular career field?
- acquire broad exposure to an industry?
- develop specific skills?
- improve foreign language skills?
- explore a new culture or geographical area?
- earn money?
What are the timing, location, financial/housing considerations important TO YOU for your internship?
Networks Resume Writing Guide
Skill Based Resume
Networks Resume Seminars
Resume Action Word Links
(find action words to express skills and accomplishments)
- Write Express: Action Verbs (sorted by action - great!)
- Live Career: Action Verbs (great - also sorted by category)
All Around Help
- Monster Advice
- Andrea Kay - full range of career planning, job search, and resume advice, including FREE PODCAST subscription (Career Whisperer). Great resource!
Networks Financial Institute