You are here
The Commerce Department was formed in Indiana State Normal School in 1918. The department was located in Old Main and chaired by Shepherd Young who had joined the faculty that year as Professor of Commercial Subjects. Prior to joining the ISNS faculty, Mr. Young was a teacher and administrator in Kentucky, West Virginia, and Indiana schools before joining ISNS. Mr. Young died, still with ISNS, in 1940. The same year the Commerce Department moved to the second floor of Fine Arts and Commerce Building.
The Fine Arts and Commerce Building, February 1940. The Commerce Department moved from Old Main to the Fine Arts and Commerce Building in 1940 (Univerrsity Archive)
Student: Winifred "Winnie" Aten
Winifred Aten has been one of those rare personalities always looking “super.” Having an eye for the stunning and yet correct dress, Winnie usually “knocks ‘em for a row” when she enters the room. Her informal attitude and constant good nature are characteristics that have impressed the student body making her one of the outstanding socialites of the college. Winnie is a member of the Gamma Gamma sorority and during her senior year served as vice-president and rush captain after having held the position of secretary the year previous. Winnie is a member of the departmental clubs of which she is a major, Commerce and Home Economics.
For her outstanding capabilities in the various campus activities, Winnie was elected to Pamarista, honorary for outstanding women on the campus, during her junior year. When a senior, she was awarded the honor of serving as president of Pamarista. Evidence is given of her participation in campus politics during her collegiate career by the positions of secretary of the sophomore class and treasurer of the Junior Class which she maintained. Because of her outstanding prominence in campus activities, Winifred Aten is rated for the Sycamore’s “Who’s Who.”
Student: Wayne Bowsher
Wayne Bowsher is constantly running around the campus and campaigning for more democratic ideals and philosophies to pervade the student’s mind, is really a good fellow at heart. As president of the Student Council, high tribunal of student organizations, “Bowsh” has been on the constant trail of the newspaper editors for publicity in an effort to remould the morals of the Indiana State student body.
Wayne is a member of the Delta Lambda Sigma fraternity. During his senior year, he commanded the activities of the Delts as their president and represented them in Alpha Chi Delta, governing body of organized men students. In his junior year, Wayne was elected to blue Key, honorary for outstanding men on the campus, besides being a member of Alpha Phi omega, service fraternity of ex-boy scouts.
After two regular years as a husky and aggressive guard in the sycamores forward wall, “Bowsh” was elected captain of the football team for the 1939 fall grid season. He was also the manager of the varsity basketball team while a junior.
With this record, Wayne will be remembered by Stateachers long after his graduation. For his distinction in extra-curricular activities at Indiana State, Wayne Bowsher is rated by his ellow-students for the Sycamore’s “Who’s Who.”
Wayne Bowsher 1940 Sycamore, page 213
Student: Stanley Smith
Stanley Smith…. has gained his reputation on the campus for his untiring efforts on the promotion of collegiate activities of superior quality. His social standing is one regarded by all admiring freshmen and sophomores as “tops.”
“Smitty” is a member of the Delta Lambda Sigma fraternity and has served in several positions for the Delts. As president of the Press club, he looked after the interests of all journalistic endeavor; is a member of Alpha Phi Gamma, journalistic honorary; and the Commerce club. During his sophomore year, “Smitty” worked on the business staff of the yearbook, and when a junior, was business manager of the Blue Book, student directory.
Because of his outstanding qualities as a campus leader, Stanley was elected in his junior year to Blue Key, honorary fpr outstanding men on the campus.
“Smitty” was captain of the highly successful 1939-40 basketball team gaining the regard of his teammates for his leadership on the hardwood court as well as the campus. As co-chairman of the 1939 Homecoming Celebration, Stanley directed one of the largest gatherings of State alumni and present students on the campus in many years.
For outstanding participation in campus activities and leadership of the student body, Stanley Smith rates “Who’s Who” in the 1940 Sycamore.
Stanley "Smitty" Smith (1940 Sycamore, page 77 & 213)
Student: Mary Ellen Stockdale
Mary Ellen Stockdale Is one of those persons constantly doing something “at the right time and the right way.” She has exemplified her ability of responsibility and tact by the many varied and important positions she has held during her collegiate career.
Mary Ellen was president of the Kappa Kappa sorority during her senior year and represented the sorority as secretary of Woman’s League. In addition to the job of looking after the affairs of a sorority, Mary Ellen was the co-chairman of the most successful Blanket hop ever to be produced at Indiana State.
Extra-curricular activities were not the only part of college life in which Mary Ellen participated for she maintained a high scholastic record throughout her four years in college. She is a member of Kappa Delta Pi, scholastic honorary; Pi Omega Pi, commercial honorary; Alpha Phi Gamma, journalistic honorary; and the Press and Commerce clubs.
Proving her capabilities as a campus leader, Mary Ellen, was elected to Pamarista, honorary for outstanding women on the campus, early in her junior year of college.
Mary Ellen Stockdale, because of her prominence in nearly all phases of campus activity, is rated by State students “Who’s Who” in the 1940 Sycamore.
Mary Ellen Stockdale (1940 Sycamore, pages 80 & 212)
Student: Kenneth Vogel
Kenneth Vogel…. after three and one-half years of seclusion from the female element of the college, has broken down and is quite the “joe” of the campus. Even so, most people will agree that Kenny is the outstanding eligible bachelor roaming the greens of Indiana State.
During his collegiate career, Kenny participated in football, basketball, and baseball, winning a letter in all three. During his senior year, Vogel captained and spark-plugged the 1940 baseball squad. Shortstop Vogel’s inspiring leadership on the diamond commanded the respect of his fellow teammates and students with the result – a highly successful hardball season.
“Stinko,” as he is commonly known to his most intimate friends, is a member of the Delta Lambda Sigma fraternity, the vice-president of Blue-Key, honorary for outstanding men on the campus; the I Men’s Club; and commerce club. Not only is Kenny noted for his athletic prowess, but he is equally well-known for his accomplishments in the academic field. He is a member of Kappa Delta Pi, scholastic honorary; and Pi Omega Pi, commercial honorary.
Because of his genial personality and his outstanding ability in extra-curricular activities, Kenneth Vogel is rated by his fellow-students in the Sycamore’s “Who’s Who.”
Kenneth Vogel (1940 Sycamore, pages 81 & 213)
The school year of 1939-40 found the Commerce Club with the largest membership in its history. There were one hundred and five members enrolled during the Fall term.
In September the club sponsored a Commerce student-faculty “get-together” in the Student lounge. Regular meetings of the club featured various types of programs, including demonstrations of office machines; a demonstration of the telephone; a typewriting contest, won by Kathleen Hergt; an old-fashioned “Spelling Bee,” won by John Watson; and interesting talks by business and professional men.
The club also sponsored a Commerce Club dance in the ballroom of the union building in connection with the fourth annual Commercial Teacher’s Clinic, April 13.
President – Cletis Shouse
Vice-president – Margaret Kennedy
Secretary – Marian Howell
Treasure – Josephine Hendrich
Faculty Adviser – Irma Ehrenhardt
Commerce Club 1940 (1940 Sycamore, page 186)
Pi Omega Pi (Chi Chapter)
Chi chapter of Pi Omega Pi, national honorary commercial fraternity, was founded at Indiana State in 1932. Its purpose is to create fellowship among future commercial teachers chosen from junior and senior commerce students who have a high scholastic standing and who have shown much interest in the commercial field.
Pi Omega pi is active on campus playing an important part in the commercial clinic held April 13. The organization was in charge of registration in the Fine Arts Building and sponsored a dinner for the Pi Omega Pi alumni at the Union Building.
Second initiation services of the year were held for Marian Van Bibber, Evelyn Reynolds, Marian Failing, and Robert Millon on February 7, 1940.
President – William Luken
Vice-president – Jospehine Hendrich
Secretary – Jean Ahlemeyer
Treasurer – Kenneth Vogel
Faculty Advisor – Miss Helen Wood
[Note: Jean A. Ahlemeyer was born in Clinton, IN on November 28, 1918 the daughter of Hubert Herman and Lestia Mae (Weaver) Ahlemeyer. Jean spent her early years in Indiana and then moved to NY City. She was a teacher at Newman High School in Illinois for two years and then was an office manager for Republic Aviation and US Time in New York City from 1945-1948. She lived in Pleasantville, NY for 25 years, Tehran, Iran for 3 years and Essex, CT for 4 years before moving to New London in 1982. Jean was a member and former treasurer of the New London Garden Club. She enjoyed playing bridge, downhill skiing and traveling. Jean passed away on Thursday, December 3, 2015 at the New London Hospital aged 97. She is buried in Old Main Street Cemetery, New London, NH.]
Pi Omega Pi, Chi Chapter (1940 Sycamore, page 139)
1st row – Jean Ahlemeyer, Ruth Broerman, Richard Ellis, Betty Hamblen, Virginia Harrell
2nd row – Josephine Hendrich, Elizabeth Jennett, Margaret Kennedy, William Luken, Rubyann Malasz
3rd row – Eleanor Peavey, Cletis Shouse, Mary Ellen Stockdale, Kenneth Vogel
The Commerce Department moved from Old Main to the Fine Arts and Commerce Building in 1940 (1941 Sycamore, page 4)
“Please take a letter, miss Brown”… thus might be the opening remark of a meeting of one of the most active organizations on the campus of Indiana State, the Commerce Club. The club has a wide scope for its activities because its interests are in the pursuit of commercial endeavor. Shorthand, typing, simple arithmetic, and many other subject of commercial utility are included in the extra-curricular, as well as the curricular, studies of the members of the Commerce Club. The organization is composed of students interested in the aspects of the business world who are majoring in at least one subject in the commerce department.
By demonstrations of office equipment, talks by prominent people in the local business world, and trips to business organizations in Terre Haute, the Commerce Club makes it possible for its members to make personal contact with various useful phases of the business world.
Once a month the Commerce Club has a social meeting in the form of a dance or a mixer; annually it has a holiday party, and a spelling bee or some other such informal get-together. One of the more formal affairs of the year is the dance sponsored by this group in connection with their activities in the annual Commercial Teachers’ Clinic.
President – Doris Bruce
1st Vice-president – Virginia Harrell
2nd Vice-president – Merry Katharine Chelf
Secretary – Lillian Frye
Treasurer – Rita Heine
Sponsor – Miss Irma Ehrenhardt
Row 1 – G. Wellmeyer, J. VanDeVanter, R. Homrig, R. Goodman, J. Mitchell, B. Hodgers, M. Keith, V. Bever, D. Burgewt, J. Peters, V. O’Connell, M. Day
Row 2 – M. Markle, H. Harbaugh, R. Cissna, E. Remster, K. Alman, A. Davis, P. Coffman, K. Maxey, B. Black, V. Armstrong, B. Marine, J. Shannon, R. Heine, M. Shaw
Row 3 – V. Herrill, L. Frye, D. Coordes, M. Garrett, L. Nelson, H. Beckman, M. H. Bellamy, J. Davis, R. Hunter, M. Barnett
Row 4 – D. Mullan, D. Bruce, E. Powell, A. Hutchison, K. Callahan, M. Cox, A. Mitchell (1941 Sycamore, page 107 & University Archive)
Members of the Commerce Club and the Pi Omega Pi honorary commerce fraternity hold a banquet in the ballroom of the Student Union Building, April 1941. (University Archive)
Commerce – R. Temple, S. Young, I. Ehrenhardt, G. Eberhart, H. Truelove, V. Breidenbaugh, H. Wood
In memoriam: Shepherd Young, Katherine Browning (1941 Sycamore, page 25)
Members of the Department of Commerce: R. Temple, S. Young, I. Ehrenhardt, G. Eberhart, H. Truelove, V. Breidenbaugh, and H. Wood (University Archive)
Faculty: Helen Wood
Helen Wood has been elected acting chairman of the commerce department of Indiana State Teachers College to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Shepherd Young last November. She has been a mernber of the commerce department faculty since 1928. Previous to receiving a permanent position at Indiana State Teachers College Miss Wood acted as a summer assistant there for two years. She has served as elementary teacher, grade school principle and head of the high school commerce department at Clinton. Indiana. A graduate of Gregg College in Chicago and of the College where she now teaches. She holds an MA degree from Indiana University and has done further graduate work at Columbia University. (The Journal of Business Education, Volume 16, 1941 - Issue 7)
Around Campus: Moving in
Moving In - (1941 Sycamore, page 47)
Around Campus: Pressing matters
Enlistment poster (1941 Sycamore, page 31)
The 1941-42 Commerce Club boasts of the largest membership in its history – it has a membership of over one hundred students.
Starting with a get-acquainted party in the fall, Commerce Club has had many interesting activities. It has been the aim to have speakers who are well-versed on the modern trends in business and who know what the present employers require of their employees.
Mr. E. C. Belzer of the Indiana Bell Telephone Co. at Indianapolis told the club of the development of the Bell telephone. He also brought with him a new machine, the Mirrophone, which is used in recording voices.
The business law class, under the direction of Mr. George Eberhart, presented a mock trial which proved to be a judicial success.
President – Lilian Frye
Vice-president – Arnold Conrad
Secretary – Maxine Shaw
Treasurer – Hallie Paul Harbaugh
Seated: Maxine Smith, Jean Cazee, Arnold Conrad, Lillian Frye, Betty Lu Reis, Hallie Paul Harbaugh, Margaret Hall
Standing 1st row – Bill Bennie, Martha Day, Beverly Fortner, Wanda Collier, Martha Cornick, Mary Bellmay, Anna Peski
Standing 2nd row – Norbert Schneider, Frank Femyer, Alice Davis, Dorothy Heine, Irma Ehrenhardt, Helen Wood, Ruth Cissna, Jane Lewman, Judy Davis, George Eberhart (1942 Sycamore, pages 140 - 141)
Miss Ruth Temple, Miss Helen Wood, Miss Irma Ehrenhardt, Mr. George Eberhart, Mr. Herman Truelove, Mr. Vachel Breidenbaugh, Mr. Roy Hunter (1942 Sycamore, page 82)
Highlights of the activities of the Commerce Club this year were a get-acquainted party, “commerce Kick-off,” an address to club members by Mr. Belzer of the Indiana Bell Telephone Company, and a style show, given by members of the club.
President – Susanne Carter
Vice-President – Wanda Larew
Secretary – Ruth Criss
Treasurer – Jane McCampbell
First row: Sara Council, Joyce Ann Pate, Maryanna Dede, Kathryn Theodore, Hilda Willen, Mary Ruth Oakley, Alice Harrington, Marcella Dowen, Margaret Nichols, Jeanette Busing
Second row:Jane Wagoner, Mation Snyder, Dorothy Scott, Dorothy Murphy, Wilma Armstrong, Jean McGruder, Elizabeth Kirkham, Lois Reynolds, Lorene Laughlin, Wanda Pell, Catehrine Marietta, Joyce O’Rourke, Libby Concannon, Margaret Boyce
Third row: Elizabeth Smith, Christine Van Devanter, Elnora Swaim, Mr. Eberhart, Mr. Hunter, Mr. Breidenbaugh, Jane McCampbell, Leo miller, Peggy Trenary, Mary Nasser, Wilma Redenbacher, Kathryn Carnahan.
Unpictured: Susanne Carter (1945 Sycamore, page 60)
Commerce Club – originator of the Commercial Contest held annually – organized as a club in 1943 [The Commerce Club was first formed in the Fall of 1920] – Lois Reynolds president – Elizabeth C. Schmidt, vice-president – Donna Lee Smith, treasurer – Joan Bidle, secretary – opened ’45-’46 school year with a blue jeans party at Allendale – Susie Carter, program chairman – interesting meetings as a result – Mr. V. E. Breidenbaugh, a welcome-back guest speaker – recently returned from overseas’ teaching at Biarritz American University in France – took Commerce Club on an imaginary trip to Scotland, London, Paris, Biarritz, Marseille, and home again – his actual trip – Mr. George Eberhart, a loyal and helpful sponsor.
First row: Sharon Ford, Elaine Thompson, Ruth Criss, Leitha Leithe, Maxine Clark, Virginia Carpenter, Carolyn Hudson, Mary Ruth Oakley, Phyllis Hallowell, Ruth Boyll, Donna Lee Smith, Marian Snyder, Dorothy Scott, Peggy Trenary, Joyce Beatty, Grace Crone, Jane Waggoner, Dorothy Evans, Joyce Thomas
Second row: Irma Meyer, Marilyn Morgan, Clifford Burger, Gloria Love, Kathryn Manhart, Mary Jo Seamon, Virginia Haste, Gloria McDermott, Sharon Richardson, Margaret Broadhurst, Beverly Cottrell, Gloria Osman, Rita Shickel, Susanne Carter, Mary Lou Gilloy Burdick, Margaret Landis, Miss Helen Wood, Mr. Roy Hunter, Mr. George Eberhart, Joyce O’Rourke, Libby Concannon Schmidt, Margaret Boyce, Elizabeth Smith, Joan Bidle, Betty Mae Tapy.
Third row: Lois Reynolds, Denny Trueblood, Sara Council, Katherine Theodore, Imogene DeWeese, Joan Walsh, Annette Taylor, Violet White, Wanda Larew, Jack Black. (1946 Sycamore, page 126)
Pi Omega Pi (Chi Chapter)
National honorary for commerce students – Chi chapter established in 1932 – honors scholastic effort in the field of commerce – furthers commercial education – officers for the year – Roseanna Burke, president, Wanda Larew, vice-president – Jessie McCune, secretary – Lois Reynolds, treasurer – Mr. Breidenbaugh, sponsor – Mr. Eberhart served as sponsor during Mr. Breidenbaugh’s absence – membership requirements – commerce majors – general average of B – index of 80 in commercial subjects – outstanding special commerce major elected by commerce students, faculty, and Pi Omega Pi members – given award at Honor Day – name of winner engraved on Pi Omega Pi plaque in the Fine Arts Building.
Pi Omega Pi, Chi Chapter Discussion
Pi Omega Pi, Chi Chapter (1946 Sycamore, page 138)
Lois Reynolds, Roseanna Burke, Wanda Larew, Aileen Shouse, Imogene DeWeese, Norman Darrow, Sara Council, Margaret Hedley Meighen.
[Note: Wanda Larew (later Wells) was born on August 15, 1924, in Clinton. She grew up in Terre Haute, graduated from Pimento High School and was a 1946 graduate of Indiana State Teachers college. She was a traveling music teacher in five Harrison Township elementary schools. She married Richard S. Wells in 1948 and following their wedding, she and her husband, Richard, moved to Lakeland, Florida. She was a member of Florida State Music Teachers Association, National Music Teachers Association, Ridge Music Teachers Association, Sigma Alpha Iota and a former member of Tuesday Music Club. She also was a member of the Symphony Guild and Covenant Presbyterian Church, where she was a pianist and a member of the choir. She taught piano in her home in Lakeland until retiring in 1987. Wanda passed away on Saturday, March 13, 2004, of cancer, aged 79.]
Student: Sara Council
Friendly smile – witty quips – inquisitive mind – eager – enthusiastic – dance chairman for Student Activities Bureau – an experienced organizer and planner – co-chairman of Homecoming – Student council President – Public Relations Department – Pi Omega Pi – scintillating personality. [Sara was also a member of the Commerce Club while at Indiana State]
Sara Council (1946 Sycamore, page 101)
Student: Lois Reynolds
Born leader – quiet charm – disturbing eyes – skilled in many fields – Commerce Club President – President of Future Teachers of America – tongue-twisting language finesse – Vice-President of Modern Language Club – Secretary for Kappa Delta Pi – Treasurer for Pi Omega Pi – willowy figure – graceful movements
Lois Reynolds (1946 Sycamore, page 103)
George Eberhart, M.S., Indiana University, departmental head; Vachel Breidenbaugh, M.S., Indiana University; Gertrude Dubats, M.A., Northwestern; Marian Glascock, A.B., University of North Dakota; Roy Hunter, M.S., Indiana State; Ruth Temple; A.M. Columbia University; Herman Truelove, M.S., Indiana State; Helen Wood, A.M., Indiana University. (1947 Sycamore, page 26)
Student: Dennis Trueblood
Campus politician – president of student council – impartial attitude – prolific organizer – Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities – friendly smile – lean and angular – sporty sweaters – dry wit – frank – dependable – president of junior class
Dennis Trueblood (1947 Sycamore, page 111)
Dennis had a fantastic carrer ahead of him which was unfortunately cut short. The following is taken from the American College Personnel Association, College Student Educators International website and American Students Organize: Founding the National Student Association After World War II by the American Council on Education (Ed. Eugene G. Schwartz, 2006, NSA Anthology Charitable Trust, pp 345 - 346).
Dennis Lee Trueblood was born on April 12, 1925 in rural Vigo County near Prairie Creek, Indiana, Dennis graduated from Honey Creek High School in 1943 at Terra Haute. That fall he enrolled at Indiana State University. His major at entrance was Commerce. A desk clerk in the Student Union Building during his last three years at Indiana State, he was president of his junior class and named outstanding senior man. He received the B.S. degree in 1948, and then he enrolled at Indiana University. He was granted the M.B.A. degree (1949, Personnel Management and Counseling).
For the next five years at Indiana University, while he studied for his doctorate, Dennis was a College Counselor and Teaching Assistant. He was the recipient of the Ed.D. Degree in 1954 (Guidance and Counseling). The title of his dissertation was "Selected Characteristics, Including Academic Achievement of Employed and Nonemployed Students in the Indiana University School of Business."
He was an outstanding student at Indiana University and started his prolific record of scholarly publications while in graduate school. His interest in students, the profession of student personnel work, and Involvement in the National Student Association began during his undergraduate years. He his ability to work with people in a personable and effective manner as a student and later as a student personnel administrator and as a university professor. He wrote over 50 articles for professional journals and related publications
During 1954-56 he was Director of the Office of Aids, Scholarships, and Awards at the University of Kansas. From 1956 to December 1957, he served as Assistant then Associate Director of the Commission on Educational Organization of the National Conference of Christians and Jews in New York City. He left New York City to accept appointment as Assistant Director then Coordinator of Student Affairs (Training) and Associate Professor of Education at Southern Illinois in January 1958. Dennis was promoted to full Professor in 1962 and named to chair the Department of Guidance in the summer of 1963.
Dennis was heavily involved in the American College Personnel Association, College Student Educators International since 1954, sitting on various committees. Dennis was voted their president, an office he took up on May 1, 1963, only to have to resign on January 1, 1964. He died undergoing open heart surgery in a Chicago hospital five weeks later, when he was just 38 years old. He was survived by his wife, two children, parents, and sister.
Barbara Kirk, who assumed the ACPA presidency upon the death of Dennis, said,
“No previous President of our Association has ever devoted more time and energy to activities and policies and concerns which required limitless attention, than Dr. Trueblood. The entire membership of ACPA has lost a leader who represented their Interests in every phase of his professional life, whether it was on the campus of Southern Illinois University or at the White House Conference on Children and Youth in 1960, or at Executive Council meetings in Washington at the National Headquarters of APGA. There will be few Presidents in the future with his stamina and drive. It was a privilege and an honor to have known and worked with him.”
In May 1985 the Illinois College Personnel Association Executive Board established an annual award to recognize individuals in that state who made significant contributions to student affairs. They created the award in Dennis Trueblood's name to honor him.
Wabash Avenue, Terre Haute, 1947
Notes: Graduate programs added to the Commerce Department curriculm for the first time.
Commerce Club an association of students majoring in commerce, originated the annual Commerce Clinic [in 1938] on this campus.
Standing left to right, Dr. Paul Muse, Margaret Boyce, Myrna McGuire, Miss Wood, Miss Crouse, June Risher, Charles Dressler, Kenneth Gordon, Mr. Eberhart, Max Havercamp, president; Garland Raney, Duncan Phelps, Norvil Raney, Don Wartenberg, Lyle Barr, treasurer; Joe Phelps, Charles Modesitt, Bob Williams, Art Walls, Mr. Hunter, Carroll Stark, Betty Mae Tapy, secretary; and Charles Huxford.
Seated left to right: Betty Greer, joan Murphy, Joan Nichols, Martha Everroad, Peggy Trenary, Gloria Oamon, Betty Roach, Evelyn Hollenberg, Sharon Richardson, Margaret Nichols, Violet White, vice-president; Donna Smith, Margaret Richardson, Madonna Burns. (1948 Sycamore, page 73)
Standing left to right: Roy O. Hunter, B.S., M.S., Indiana State Teachers College, Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1940
Ruthetta Krause, B.S., Fort Hays, Kansas State College; M.S., University of Denver; New York University, Assistant Professor of Comerce, 1947
Helen Wood, Gregg School, A.B., Indiana State Teachers College; A.M., Indiana University; Columbia University, Associate Professor of Commerce, 1928
Ruth Temple, B.S., Indiana State Teachers College; A.M. Columbia University, Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1935
George Eberhart, B.S., M.S., Indiana University; University of Wisconsin; Ohio State University, Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1936
Maryon K. Welch, B.S., M.S., Indiana State Teachers College;. Graduate Assistant in Commerce, 1947
Herman Truelove, B.S., M.S., Indiana State Teachers College. Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1937
Martha Elder White, B.S., M.S., Indiana State Teachers College;. Graduate Assistant in Commerce, 1947
Paul F. Muse, B.S., Ohio University; M.A., Ph.D., Ohio State University, Chairman, Department of Commerce, and Associate Professor of Commerce, 1947
Seated left to right: Edith Lehew, B.S., University of Missouri; University of Chicago; B.S., Prince School of Retailing; M.S., Iowa State College; University of Minnesota; Colorado A. & M. College, Instructor in Home Economics, 1945
Vachel E. Breidenbaugh, B.S., Indiana State Teachers College; M.S., Indiana University. Associate Professor of Commerce, 1939 (1948 Sycamore, page 167)
Pi Omega Pi (Chi Chapter)
Pi Omega Pi, national honorary business education fraternity. Each year at Honor Day convocation names the outstanding student in the field of commerce. His name is engraved on a plaque in the Fine Arts Building. To become a member one must have an 80 index in commercial studies, a general index of 75, and must be on a teaching curriculum.
Officers for the year were: Betty Mae Tapy, president; William Coon, vice-president; Margaret Nichols, secretary-treasurer; and Miss Helen Wood and Mr. Roy Hunter, co-sponsors.
Pi Omega Pi, Chi Chapter (1948 Sycamore, page 121)
Row 1: June Beldon, Jesse Bowers, Lois Braure, Bill Coon, William Cooper, Emajean Dyball
Row 2: Thomas Hale, Ward A. Lear, Leitha Leithe, Charles Modesitt, Margaret Nichols, Hubert O. Ritter
Row 3: Thomas G. Strong, Betty Mae Tapy, Dennis Trueblood, Paul E. Watson, George Werner, J. P. Wheatley
Around Campus: Visual Arts
Visual aids are an indispensable part of the classroom. Indiana State teaches its teaching students to know thoroughly the movie projector.
Business Class 1949 Sycamore, page 24
The business world will profit from conscientious students like these who are receiving practical experience in college classes.
Commerce Club – an association of commerce majors, is organized for the advancement, protection, and benefit of its members. Meetings are held monthly, some are parties and picnics. Club officers this year were Don Stapleton, president; Martha Everroad, vice-president; Joan Murphy, secretary; Marian White, treasurer and Alice Butler, reporter. Faculty sponsor is Dr. George Eberhart.
1949 Commerce Club (1949 Sycamore, page 46)
Seated: Miss Janco, Graduate Assistant in Commerce, 1948. Mr. Klug, Graduate Assistant in Commerce, 1948. Miss Krause, Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1947. Miss Wood, Associate Professor of Commerce, 1928. Miss Temple, Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1935.
Standing: Dr. Muse, Chariman, Department of Commerce, and Associate Professor of Commerce, 1947. Mr. Truelove, Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1937. Dr. Eberhardt, Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1936. Mr. Evinger, Graduate Assistant in Commerce, 1948. Mr. Hunter, Assistant Professor of Commerce, 1940. Mr. Modesitt, Graduate Assistant in Commerce, 1948. (1949 Sycamore, page 147)
Pi Omega Pi (Chi Chapter)
Pi Omega Pi, national honorary business fraternity, at the Honor Day convocation, names the outstanding graduating senior in the field of commerce, awards that student a gold key, and has his or her name engraved on the plaque in the fine Arts Building.
In the spring, members assist the faculty in staging Indiana State’s annual Commerce Clinic. They also hold a Homecoming dinner for their alumni, and members from chapters in nearby colleges are invited. This year two delegates were sent to the national convention in Detroit.
Officers for the year are: president, Joe Isbell; vice-president, Don Kunkel; secretary-treasurer, Lois Brown; co-sponsors, Miss Helen Wood, and Mr. Roy O. Hunter.
[Note: Donald Robert "Don" Kunkel was born on October 15, 1925, in Jasper, IN, to Claude and Marie (Schneider) Kunkel. He graduated from Jasper High School in 1943.He served in World War II with the U.S. Marine Corps. He fought in Okinawa and participated in the occupation of China.After his military career, Don received a Bachelor of Science degree in teaching from Indiana State University. He was elected president of the 1950 student council at Indiana State Teachers College and served as chairman of the Forum committee on the Student Activities Bureau for the college. He then received a masters degree in business administration and a law degree from Notre Dame University.He served as assistant prosecuting attorney for Dubois County for a number of years.Later, he entered the seminary at Saint Meinrad, studying philosophy and theology. He became a Trappist Monk for a short period, and was later ordained a Glenmary Missionary priest on May 6, 1967. During this time he was a pastor for Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Swainsboro, GA, and then took an extended sabbatical to study communications in England for four years, earning yet another degree. Afterward, he briefly served as associate pastor for Holy Family Church in the Bronx.After retiring from the priesthood, Don worked as a security dispatcher for 15 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. He spent his final years in Lebanon with his family. Don had an exceptional ability to connect with people, and he never forgot a name. He enjoyed playing tennis, sailing, learning foreign languages, and accumulating over 600 college credit hours. Don passed away at age 85, at Parkwood Heath Care Center in Lebanon, IN.]
Pi Omega Pi, Chi Chapter (1949 Sycamore, page 59)
Top row: Lois Brown, Donald M. Conread, William H. Coon Jr., William Cooper, Emajean Dyball
2nd row: Bruce Gilman, Mary E. Hall, Joseph Scott Isbell, Raymond Klug, Donald R. Kunkel
3rd row: Ward Lear, William L. Marietta, Raymond D. Mattingly, Gwendolyn Meurer, Charles Modesitt Jr.
Bottom row: Richard Richeson, Paul E. Ritchey, Letha Trout, Helen Wardle, George Werner, James P. Wheatley
Around Campus: Fashion
It was “singing in the rain” for us this year when scientists produced those wonderful plastic raincoats. Joe College discarded the conventional brown leather jacket and sported bright wool plaid, finger-tip coats. Even the hats reversed their usual position. (1949 Sycamore, page 72)