Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions

What is your national and regional school ranking?

Indiana State University is an accredited college by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Washington Monthly ranks Indiana State University NO. 20 overall among national universities. We also have one of the top business schools in the nation. You can refer to Wikipedia for more information about our school.

Can I change my start term and major once I've been accepted?

Yes, you can change your start term. But you can only delay your admission for a year. For example, if you are admitted for Fall 2015, you can defer your admission to Spring 2016, Summer 2016 or Fall 2016. You will have to re-apply if you want to start in Spring 2017. For undergraduate students, you can update your term by filling out a Change Term or Major form. For graduate students, you can contact to request your term update.

Yes, you can change your major. If you are an undergraduate student, you can change your majors by filling out a Change Term or Major form. If you are a graduate student, you need to fill out a new application.

What is the admission process for undergraduate/graduate/transfer students at Indiana State University (ISU)?

  • For international undergraduate/transfer students, you need to:

    • Fill out an online application
    • Pay the application fee
    • Upload your transcripts through online application
    • Ask the testing center to send your English language scores
    • Submit copy of your passport photo page
    • After you are admitted, we will also require you to submit your bank statement and affidavit of financial support.
  • For international graduate students, in addition to the above requirements, you also need to upload and attach any additional application materials or test scores required by the department as part of the online application process, for example, statement of purpose, resumes/curriculum vita. Each department has its own requirements. Have questions about graduate degree programs or enrollment? Please contact the graduate program you are interested in directly or send an email to as the required documents vary.

For detailed information on admission process:

  • For international freshman, please look here
  • For international transfer students, please look here
  • For international graduate students, please look here

What is the application deadline?

To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received before the following dates. Early application is encouraged.

Fall semester................... July 1
Spring semester............... December 1
Summer session............... April 1

How can I check to see whether my transcripts and other application materials have been received?

  • If you have not completed your application you will get several automatic emails from us with the missing documents.
  • You can check what documents you still need to submit by logging back to the application website The first page “My Workspace” will have a list of the documents required to complete your application. If the first page is empty, it means you submitted all the necessary paperwork.
  • If you are not sure if we received your documents you can always check with our international recruiters at

Do I have to take SAT or ACT?

You do NOT need to take the SAT or ACT test. You also do not need to provide the scores for those exams if you have taken them. We will do not have scholarships based on the SAT/ACT scores and we also do not waive English proficiency requirement based on the SAT/ACT scores.

What if my English proficiency scores do not meet the Indiana State University (ISU) requirements?

Most ISU international students choose to enroll into the Interlink program and study English right here at ISU’s campus. As soon as you complete the Level 5 program at Interlink, your English language proficiency requirements can be waived at ISU. We strongly encourage you to apply for ISU at the same time when you apply for Interlink, because it will facilitate your admissions process at ISU once your English language training is complete. Alternatively, you can retake the English language proficiency exam or enroll into other ISU approved programs

Can I send Indiana State University my transcript and my English proficiency scores?

For international transcripts, the fastest way to send us your international transcripts is to upload the electronic copy of your official international transcripts in the "supplemental materials" link through the online admission application at

For U.S. transcripts, please ask the issuing institution to send them to Indiana State University at the address below.

For your English proficiency scores you should request the test center to send your test scores electronically or via regular mail. If they choose to send those via regular mail our address is:

Office of Admissions
318 N 6th St.
Terre Haute, IN, USA 47809

If they choose to send those via email, our email address is

Note: we can only receive IELTS scores via regular mail. All academic and supplemental documents that are submitted to Indiana State University become property of Indiana State University and will not be returned.

Are scholarships available?

For undergraduate students,

  • We offer a $5000 per year International Scholar Award towards the tuition fees for international undergraduate students. The scholarship is renewable for 3 additional years for freshman students. Transfer students are eligible for one additional year after their first year at Indiana State University. You do NOT need to apply for the incentive scholarship. If your GPA is 3.0 or higher you are automatically considered for this scholarship. You can find out more about the international scholarships here:
  • We have also introduced a laptop award for international freshmen (Fall Only). If your GPA is 3.0 or above and you are admitted (including conditionally admitted) before July 15th, you will be considered for a free Lenovo ThinkPad laptop (retails at $1,200)! The detail is here:

For graduate students,

Other financial assistance options for undergraduate/graduate students,

Who can I contact if I have any questions or if I need help during the application process?

If you have admission questions, you can always contact us at

If you have housing questions, please contact our Res Life at or call 812-237-3993

If you have I-20 or visa questions, please contact our CGE office at or call 812.237.2440. The Center for Global Engagement (CGE) offers visa and support services to international students to help them better adjust to American college life.