You are here
The Career Center can assist students and alumni with their job search. Career Center staff members can show you how to access job listings and recommend other resources for finding employment. We also can help you learn how to effectively network with prospective employers.
To get started, use the resources below and schedule an appointment through Handshake with a Career Coach.
Part Time Employment
- Student Employment - This is the link to the ISU Career Center’s page for student employment which aims to help connect students with employment opportunities and help them find part-time positions. The page has its own series of resources to aid students.
- FlexJobs - This link to Flex Jobs provides opportunities for part-time employment.
- www.HireOwl.com - A place meant to make hiring students easier. On HireOwl, they have listings of popular jobs along with a job board that students can look through. Once they’ve found a job of interest, the will have an online interview with the place hiring and, if hired, they can receive feedback, pay, and job assignments from their employer through the site.
- IndianaINTERNnet - Provides opportunities for Micro-internships: Micro-internships are short-term, project-based experiences that allow employers to hire students specifically for the purpose of completing a singular project. They typically last from 10 to 80 hours of work with most projects being due within a week to a month after assignment.
- Parker Dewey - If you are launching your career, Parker Dewey provides a tremendous opportunity. Not only can you explore different career paths and work on interesting assignments, you can also demonstrate your abilities to potential employers while building your professional portfolio and network. Beyond that, your academic experience will improve as you apply what is taught in the classroom to the real world (and vice versa). Oh, did we forget to mention that you get paid for all of this?
- www.Snagajob.com - On Snagajob, job searchers are able to search for target jobs in or outside their region based on the type of job, their zip code, and preferred distance away. Then all it takes is one application and active inbox notifications and Snagajob will find employment opportunities students may be interested in applying for.
Full Time Employment
- Handshake - By signing into MyISU, students can schedule an appointment to receive aid from a Career Coach.
- LinkedIn - Here, one can post a job listing, find a job, or find a course or training to find the right job or internship for them.Get up-to-date contact information, including email addresses, for millions of companies.
- Glassdoor.com - Students can find the right job for them through anonymously posted jobs, salary information, company reviews, and interview questions.
- Buzzfile - A listing of the numbers of employers in Indiana by major.
- ZipRecruiter - A leading online employment marketplace that leverages Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered smart matching technology to actively connect millions of employers and job seekers.
Indiana Specific Job Search
- Ascend - A site dedicated to connecting job-seeking students with employers in Indiana.
- State Jobs in Indiana - A site that helps a person find employment across Indiana based on the career and will keep them informed about upcoming events and opportunities that match their interests
- NextLevel Jobs Indiana - NextLevel Jobs Indiana or IndianaCareerReady helps students prepare for a career and find high-demand/high-wage jobs that are needed now and will be needed in the future. Just a few of its resource listings are workforce partners, work-based learning and apprenticeships, labor market information, and in demand jobs.
- GoAbroad.com - With GoAbroad, students can find jobs and internships abroad but they can also study, volunteer, and teach abroad with the website.
- Going Global.com - Going Global present an opportunity for students to search for internships and jobs along with giving access to usa city, country, and global city career guides.
- MyVisaJobs - International professionals can find information on US jobs with an H-1B cap-exempt employer in the site’s databases.
- H1Base - This branch of H1 helps international students create employment solutions by aiding in solving the issues of USA Immigration and Work Visas.
- OPTNation - This site helps International students find OPT (Optional Practical Training Jobs) in the USA after graduation - some services require payment.
- United OPT - This site can help international students find work after graduation. However, some additional services through the site may require payment.
Industry Specific Employment
For resources and job boards specific to a particular major, industry or career, please contact your Career Coach designated for your College/Major.
- What Can I Do With This Major? - Industry Specific Job Board - This website provides a list of majors that a student can look through and click on to view more detail about them. The information provided in a listing of a major is typically common careers utilized by the major, typical employers that hire in that field, and strategies to optimize career opportunities. Websites included in the links section provide additional information about each major and the occupations commonly associated with it.
- Major & Other Specialized Sample Resumes - Resumes are arranged by major for easy access to industry sample resumes.
- Idealist.org - Non-Profit - A non-profit site that helps you find jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities, organizations, grad programs, and more.
- USAjobs - Government - Students can apply for and exploring the hiring paths of Federal Government jobs in America.
- Dice.com -Engineering - A site that lets a student explore and find careers in the technology/engineering field.
- ComputerScience.org - Research jobs in the industry and explore additional opportunities in Computer Science.
- Teach.org - Education - A site targeted to helping professionals make the most of their education when finding a teaching job through prep, hands-on experience, personal work stories from teachers, and job searching resources.
- The Blue Line - Law Enforcement - The Blue Line provides job listings for public safety management jobs and also shows the featured departments employing in regions near you.
- ISU Library - Using the subscription databases search for these databases that will help with company and industry research
Salary & Cost of Living
- Payscale - Job seekers can do research on salaries and compensation as well as use the cost of living calculator to see differences in expenses for other cities and parts of the country.
- Salary.com - Find information on estimated salaries and cost of living for specific areas of the country.
- Money Geek - Complete information on financial planning, using credit cards, getting loans, and making decisions about saving and spending money.
- Intuit Mint's Salary Data - Mint's salary tool lets you see and compare true compensation of jobs pulled from TurboTax returns & helps you make smarter earning decisions with hundreds of jobs to pick and choose from.
Hours of Operations
Mon - Fri: 8am - 4:30pm
Mon - Fri: 10am - 12pm & 1 - 3pm
Indiana State University Career Center
231 North 6th Walkway
Terre Haute, IN 47809