You are here
Online Biology (M.S.) - non-thesis
The University offers an online master of science (M.S.) in biology that provides students with advanced knowledge of biology needed for careers in industry and federal and state government agencies. In addition, the program is excellent preparation for professional schools.
- The master of science (M.S.) in biology includes 32 credits. This non-thesis program is a valuable option that enables pre-professional students to develop courses of study tailored to meet their individual needs and interests.
- Coursework includes a required research course plus coursework and seminars selected from areas such as biology, ecology, and organismal biology, and life sciences. In addition, all students complete a culminating experience related to research with a faculty member. Areas of research expertise of the department include behavior, physiology, microbiology, bioinformatics, cell and molecular biology, ecology, evolution, genomics, and conservation. This program does not include a thesis.
- The department is home to the Center for Bat Research, Outreach, and Conservation, which conducts scientific research and community outreach on the biology of bats. The department also houses the core facility of The Center for Genomic Advocacy, a multidisciplinary University center. The core facility is equipped with a next-generation sequencer and other key equipment for genomic research. The department also houses a research museum and maintains a field station. The University owns three natural areas that support field research.
- This master’s program can be completed entirely online in three to five years of part-time study. The University allows students to take up to seven years to earn the degree. Students who have the flexibility to blend on-campus and online coursework can complete the program in two years of full-time study.
- This online program is open to eligible students in the U.S. (including the District of Columbia and all U.S. territories). The program also is open to students in Canada (all provinces). The program is closed to students residing in countries other than the U.S. and Canada except for U.S. military and State Department personnel and their family members with APO/FPO addresses.
Note: The University also offers an on-campus master of science in biology with thesis as well as an on-campus Ph.D. in biology. These program are offered on the Indiana State University campus, located in Terre Haute, Indiana.
The online master of science in biology provides a strong background needed to pursue a career in biology in industry and federal and state government agencies as well as preparing students for professional schools.
Financial Aid & Assistance
Graduate students may be eligible for federal student loans if they are admitted into graduate degrees (or first-time teacher certification programs) and meet other eligibility requirements. Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Private alternative loans can help students pay college expenses that may not be covered by federal loan programs or other financial aid. For more information, visit financial aid.
For further information and assistance, contact:
College of Graduate and Professional Studies
Indiana State University
The Graduate Catalog and Undergraduate Catalog of Indiana State University are the documents of authority for all students. The requirements given in the catalogs supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time.