You are here
ISU Student Contest
Indiana State University
55th Contemporary Music Festival
Student Performer/Composer Recital
Paul W. Hagan Composition Prize
The Contemporary Music Festival Committee urges interested student performers and composers to take part in the 55th annual ISU CMF Student Performer/Composer Recital scheduled for Thursday, October 28, 2021. Due to the importance of this event, a high level of preparation and musicianship is expected from all participants. Auditions for this event will take place on Monday, September 27, 2021, in the Boyce Recital Hall. Students who are selected to participate in the Festival will be notified within 2 days.
The following factors play a role in the selection process: quality of audition, quality of work performed, and practical programming considerations. In addition, more weight will be given to students performing music by guest composer Jake Runestad, or ISU student composers. The program will be selected to fit approximately 45 minutes of music.
Participants must be undergraduate or graduate music majors or minors who are enrolled as full-time students and enrolled in performance study at ISU, both at the time of the audition and at the time of the concert (exception to this rule is made for students during their student-teaching or internship semester).
- Solo or chamber works (for performers: work composed within the last 30 years)
- Time limit: up to a total of 10 minutes
- Contact your studio teacher or a festival committee member for assistance in finding repertoire
- Completed Online Application Form
- Copy of score submitted to Dr. Bro
- Consent to audition by applied teacher (if performing), Mr. Powers (if submitting a composition), and/or Martha Krasnican (by September 13 if using an accompanist); verify consent on application
- Live audition for CMF Student Recital Committee: Monday, September 27 beginning at 4:00 pm
- If requesting an accompanist, submit request to Martha Krasnican by September 13
- Submit Online Application Form by Monday, September 20
- Submit a copy of the score to Dr. Paul Bro by Monday, September 20
- If chosen, program notes and performer biographies due to online form by Monday, October 4
Applications not complete by the application due date date will not be considered