2-dimensional abstract display on at GACA
GAYLORD — There is still time to view the works of Andrea Ondish, whose 2-dimensional abstract artwork will be on display at the Gaylord Area Council for the Arts (GACA) Art Center, 125 E. Main St. Ondish’s recent works will be on exhibit through the end of March in this one-woman show.
She is the curator of education and serves as an adjunct facility member at the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum at Saginaw Valley State University. Ondish has an MFA from Indiana State University and paints, draws, sculpts and makes prints. She will serve as this year’s juror for GACA’s 16th Annual Juried Fine Art Exhibit which will open Sept. 5 and run through Nov. 3.
The Art Center is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and from noon to 2 p.m.
Workshops, events and programs the Art Center
• Juried Photography Exhibition: Opening reception 5 to 7 p.m., Saturday, April 6. Meet the photographers of this popular annual exhibit. Free.
• Artful afternoons: Every Wednesday at 1 p.m. This free event features videos and discussion about art history and culture.
• Funday Mondays: Every Monday. All supplies provided. Cost is $5 per person.
• Colored pencil drawing: 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday, March 21. Instructor is Sharon Wade. Cost is $30 for GACA members and $35 for non-members. Learn about composing a still life and layering with colored pencils. Bring colored pencils and a picture you’ve been working on. Paper will be provided. Intermediate level.
• Watercolor workshop — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday, March 19 and Tuesday, April 16. Instructor is Carlene Lagrou. Cost is $30 for GACA members and $35 for non-members. Bring your own supplies. All skill levels welcome.
• Figure drawing open studio: 3 to 5 p.m., second and fourth Wednesdays. Join Karen vonOppen and Sharon Wade sketching a live model. All skill levels welcome. Bring large sketch pad, stand-up easel and a stick of charcoal, pastel or pencils.
• Kid’s after school workshops: 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., Mondays through April 29 (except during spring break). Cost is $10 for session.
• Teen workshops: 6 to 7:30 p.m. Mondays, through April. Free.
To register for workshops call 732-3242 or email GACA at firstname.lastname@example.org.