You are here
Certificate in TESL/TEFL
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
Graduate Certificate in TESL/TEFL
The courses for the Certificate are available on-line during the Summer semester. Students wishing to complete the Certificate must apply for and be accepted into the Certificate Program.
NB: If you already have an Indiana teaching license, you can add the ENL/ELL licensure by completing our Graduate Certificate in TESL/TEFL and the English Learners Core Content exam. Licensure will be for the level of your original license.
LING 601: English Syntax - 3 hrs.
LING 520: Language Acquisition - 3 hrs.
LING 613: Teaching English as a Second Language - 3 hrs.
One Elective chosen from LING 513, LING 514, LING 515, LING 517, LING 621, and LING 792 - 3 hrs.
The Certificate can be earned during another graduate program by taking one of the courses each semester for 2 years, or it can be completed in 1 year by taking two courses each semester. These courses are also usually available online during the summer.
Applied Experience Requirement
This requirement is fulfilled by doing one of the following:
- 2 years study (or equivalent fluency) of a language that is not the student's native language
- Experience living in a culture that is not the student's native culture (3 months minimum)
- ESL/EFL teaching or cross-cultural experience (3 months minimum)
- Must provide official documentation (i.e. letter from principal)
Students should complete all of the steps required for admission to the Graduate Program, which includes:
- a personal statement
- a resume or curriculum vita
- official transcripts
- the names and contact information for 3 references
These materials must be submitted to the Graduate Program application portal for consideration.