You are here
All Star Band Information
Hello and welcome!
After a year off due to the pandemic, the ISU All-Star Band returns! The 2021 Festival will take place during the weekend of 3-5 December, 2021, on the campus of Indiana State University in Terre Haute. Participating students will rehearse and perform with an honor wind ensemble, will attend masterclasses by ISU Wind and Percussion faculty, and will enjoy camaraderie and the fellowship of like-minded high school musicians from Indiana and surrounding states. All rehearsals and masterclasses are open to directors and parents. The Sunday afternoon Finale concert at 1:30pm is free admission, and will be held in Tilson Music Hall.
Any high school student-musician in the state of Indiana or neighboring states may submit an audition, provided they are currently a member of their high school program in good standing (as determined by their band or orchestra director). In general, we are looking for the following instrumentation: Flute/Piccolo, Oboe/English Horn, Bassoon, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, Alto/Tenor/Baritone Saxophone, Trumpets, Horn in F, Trombone/Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, String Bass, Percussion, Harp, and Piano.
Students may apply for participation in the ISU All-Star Band by filling out the Student Application Form and submitting a brief video audition. The video audition does NOT have to be sent at the same time as the application: you may submit your application form first, and then send the video by the deadline. Both the application and the audition must be received no later than Friday, 8 October at 5pm. Any applications or auditions received after this deadline may be discarded.
Students are selected and placed in the All-Star Honor Band Festival ensembles based on the strength of their submitted audition materials. The band will be selected with properly balanced and appropriate instrumentation in mind. Each participating high school will receive a minimum of one auditioned spot (there is no maximum).
Students (and their directors) will be notified of their selection to the All-Star Honor Band Festival beginning on Monday, 25 October. Check back here after that date for a roster of accepted students and any alternate spots or openings. All forms and payment are due by Monday, 8 November. Credit card payments must be made during regular business hours, M-F, 08:30am – 11:45am, or 1:00pm – 4:00pm.
Registration will take place on Friday, 3 December from 3:00pm to 6:30pm in the lobby of the Landini Center for Performing Arts on Indiana State University's campus. It is recommended that if you are a Resident student (see below) you register before you check in to your hotel. Click here to view the full All-Star Band schedule.
- Resident Student: (Fee: $150, includes housing for 2 nights). Resident students will be housed at the Candlewood Suites (721 Wabash Avenue) in downtown Terre Haute. Designated ISU chaperones will supervise the Resident students. Appropriate behaviour is expected of all students in accordance with all proper conduct and behaviour guidelines. Students who are in violation of these guidelines may be sent home.
- Commuter Student (Fee: $100). Students may commute only if they are a resident of Terre Haute or another location within 45 minutes of ISU’s campus. Students may also qualify for commuter status if they are staying with a parent or relative in Terre Haute. Proper documentation will be required (see Forms/Commuter Agreement on the website).
Note: Registration fees are payable via check (no cash!) when students return their acceptance forms. Do not send payment before acceptance. No refunds will be issued. Credit card payments will be accepted this year - please contact Mrs. Gayla Finley (812-237-2750) for instructions on submitting payment via credit card.
Students are responsible for the purchase of all meals.
Each student will wear concert dress clothing for the Sunday concert. Examples include tuxedos, dark suits, or white shirt with tie for men; black dress for women. You do not have to wear your school's band uniform, unless that is your program's policy.
The All-Star Band will perform on Sunday, 5 December at 1:30pm. This concert is free and open to the public and will be held in Tilson Music Hall. Directors, parents, family, and friends are all encouraged to attend.
This basic timeline is provided so that you may know what has to be done by when:
- 8 October : Application for All-Star Honor Band Festival is due.
- 8 October : Audition video is due, faculty begins audition review/ranking.
- 18 October : Faculty rankings submitted to All-Star Band coordinators.
- 25 October : All-Star Honor Band roster announced via email and this website.
- 8 November : All required student forms and registration payment due (students who have not completed this step may be removed from the ASB roster).
- 10 November : Alternates are contacted/invited.
- 3 December : All-Star Honor Band Festival Begins
- 5 December : All-Star Honor Band Festival Finale Concert