You are here
The Indiana State University Marching Sycamores are the University's musical ambassadors, and are one of the most active and visible student organizations on campus. In addition to performing at all ISU home football games, the Marching Sycamores have performed for half time shows at games of the NFL's Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts, the Brickyard 400 NASCAR race, National Bands of America Finals, the Mid-States Marching Band Contest, and several other exhibition performances throughout the region. The Marching Sycamores first appeared on campus in 1933, with 42 members and a drum major, under the direction of band director Harold Bright. The band played at every football and basketball game, as well as baseball games versus Purdue and Indiana University. Originally, the band consisted of only men, supported by female twirlers and “flag swingers.” The band remained an all-male organization until 1942, when it admitted 20 females in order to replace those members serving in World War II. By 1963, women were full-time members of the Marching Sycamores.
For more information on this ensemble, including meeting times, locations, director information, and more, visit the Ensembles/Athletic Bands link in the menu.
Instructor: Dr. Nikk Pilato
Rehearsal Times: Mon/Wed/Fri, 3:15-5:15pm
Rehearsal Location: Kennedy Field
Performances for the 2021 season will include (but are not limited to):
- Saturday, 28 August – Football, vs. Eastern Illinois University
- Saturday, 25 September – Football, vs. South Dakota State University
- Saturday, 9 October – Football, vs. Western Illinois University
- Wednesday, 20 October – Blue Light Parade
- Saturday, 23 October – Homecoming Parade
- Saturday, 23 October – Football, vs. Youngstown State University (Homecoming)
- Saturday, 13 November – Football, vs. Southern Illinois University
- Sunday, 29 November – BANDquet