You are here
Band Camp 2021 Information
Welcome to Indiana State University and the Marching Sycamores! This page contains important information about Band Camp, which will be held in August, and is the official kickoff to our 2021 season. Here you will find important information regarding move-in schedules, rehearsals, housing and meals, contact information, and much more. Please make sure to review all of the information included on this page.
REGISTERING FOR THE CLASS
All members of the Marching Sycamores must register for the class* (1 credit). Without registering, we cannot pay for your early move-in fees, your meal card, or your apparel.The correct course codes are as follows:
- MUS 109 (freshman and sophomores) -
- Section 1 (CRN 50002 - 1 credit)
- Section 2 (CRN 51347 - 0 credit)*
- MUS 409 (juniors and seniors)
- Section 1 (CRN 50090 - 1 credit)
- Section 2 (CRN 50030 - 0 credit)*
- MUS 509 (graduate students)
- Section 1 (CRN 50152 - 1 credit)
*students may only take the course for zero credit if they are at 18 credit hours already. Please contact the Director for information.
We have a Facebook Group open to members of the band. In this group, we often take votes on show music, meal choices, etc. It is also a good way to meet and get to know some of your fellow members. A lot of information is disseminated in the group, so you are definitely going to want to join.
BAND CAMP ARRIVAL SCHEDULE
All members of the Marching Sycamores should plan to arrive on campus for Band Camp on the following days. Please consult the Camp Schedule tab above for specific times, and a detailed itinerary of Band Camp activities. DO NOT arrive earlier than your expected report time (there will be no housing for you!) Arriving later than your expected report time would also be a bad thing. :-)
- Thursday, 5 August : Leadership Team Reports.
- Friday, 6 August : Drumline Members Report.
- Sunday, 8 August : ALL Brass/Woodwind/Guard Members Report. This is the official start of Camp.
For more detailed information, please check the Camp Schedule.
Note: If you are living off-campus, the following information does not pertain to you.
When you arrive, report directly to your assigned* residence hall. You should have received an email (through your ISU email address) earlier in the summer, detailing your housing assignment. A Residential Life member will meet you at the front desk to give you your room key. If you have not let us know your housing assignment, we will be contacting you for that information, so that we can take care of your early move-in fees.
*Leadership and Drumline will move into temporary housing until Saturday, so be prepared to move your stuff into your permanent dorm on Saturday. See the Camp Schedule for more information.
University meal plans do not begin until Friday, 13 August. Will you starve? Nope! The Sycamore Bands will provide members with a meal card that covers food costs until University meal plans are active. Your meal card can be used at the ISU Commons (fast food options are available) and at the ISU Dining Hall.
These cards will come pre-loaded with half the total amount (depending on when you are reporting to camp). Once you go below a certain dollar amount, the card will “refill” until you’ve hit the limit:
- Reporting on Thursday/Friday: $120
- All others reporting on Sunday: $80
DO NOT LOSE YOUR MEAL CARD. If you lose your meal card, please let us know ASAP so we can cancel the balance and issue a replacement (if available).
IMPORTANT NOTE: For members who have their early move-in housing fees and meal cards paid for by the Sycamore Bands, please be aware that if the member ends up not coming to band camp, or quits the band before the end of the season, he or she will be billed for the cost of their housing and meal card.
Music for the Pregame show, the Halftime shows, and the Stands is distributed to the members at Band Camp. However, if you would like to get a head start on memorizing Pregame music or the Short Cheers (Halftime shows are not memorized), or you simply want to get a head start on practicing the music so that you can dazzle everyone at camp, you can visit our Dropbox File Center (link provided after the ISUMS Information Form is filled out).
DRUMLINE MUSIC & AUDITIONS
All prospective Drumline members will audition during the first two days of Band Camp. Materials can also be found in our Dropbox File Center (link provided after ISUMS Information Form is filled out). Once you are in the “Music” folder, look for the “Percussion Packet” folder. For the 2021 season we are looking to march 5-7 snares, 3-4 tenors, 5 basses, and 5-7 cymbals. Sticks and mallets will be provided for you. Cymbal players must purchase their own gloves.
Students needing to rent a university-owned instrument can do so at Band Camp Registration. Instruments available for rental include Piccolos, Alto Saxes, Tenor Saxes (limited supply), Mellophones, Trombones (limited), Baritones, Sousaphones, and all Battery Percussion (snares, cymbals, tenors, and basses). The Sycamore Bands will cover your rental fee if you are a Piccolo, Tenor Sax, Mellophone, Baritone, Sousaphone, or Percussionist. Rental fees for any other instruments (clarinets, trumpets, trombones) are $60 per semester, which covers the cost of maintenance and any necessary repairs throughout the semester. Please bring cash, a check, or a credit card.
*All Flute players will play Piccolo in the Marching Sycamores. You may use your own, or rent one from the school.
If you are a member of a drum and bugle corps for the 2021 season, you will not be able to attend band camp, as the DCI schedule extends one week later than it usually does. If you are still interested in participating with the Marching Sycamores, you will have to begin the season as an alternate until you can learn drill/music. If this is the case, you must let me know ASAP.
WHAT TO BRING TO CAMP
Please check the "What to Bring..." page for a comprehensive checklist.
WHAT THE SYCAMORE BANDS PROVIDE
- Formal Uniform – The formal Marching Sycamores uniform is issued to all winds and percussionists at no charge. This includes dry cleaning. The uniform will be issued at Band Camp, along with a parka.
- Sycamore Bands T-Shirt – The Sycamore Bands t-shirt is a part of the “casual” uniform (B Uniform) that we employ for designated performances and rehearsals. If you lose or damage your provided t-shirt, you may purchase a replacement shirt for $10.
- Long Black Athletic Pants – These pants are also a part of the “casual” uniform (B Uniform), and are used for designated performances and rehearsals. If you lose or damage your pair, you may purchase a replacement pair for $30.
- Band Ballcap – The official Sycamore Bands baseball cap is to be worn by all instrumentalists as part of the formal uniform in the stands (and may or may not be used as part of the “B uniform” as well). This cap is for use only at performances, and SHOULD NOT be used at rehearsals or for everyday attire.
- Football Guest Tickets – Each member of the ISU Marching Sycamores is eligible to receive two free guest tickets to each Indiana State University home football game. Ticket reservations are due by 12:00pm on the Wednesday prior to the Saturday football game.
- Music – Every musician in the Marching Sycamores will be provided with sheet music, cut down to flip folder size, for Pregame, all Halftime shows, and for playing in the stands and at Tailgate Trail. Should you “misplace” your music, it is always available at our Dropbox File Center.
- Drill – Every member of the Marching Sycamores is provided with coordinate sheets for the Pregame and Halftime show drill routines. Leadership will also be given copies of the actual drill charts to help set forms and lines. Should you “misplace” your drill charts or coordinates, they are always available at tinyurl.com/sycamorebands
BAND CAMP SPIRIT DAYS
Show your section spirit by dressing up on the following Camp days:
SUNDAY - High School T-shirt
Represent your HS alma mater with pride!
MONDAY - Ultimate Sports Fan Day
Got a favourite team? Wear their bling!
TUESDAY - Tacky Tourist Day
How tacky can you get?
WEDNESDAY - Superhero Day
Marvel, D.C., or any other universe – be a hero!
THURSDAY - Throwback Thursday
How far back can you throw down?
FRIDAY - Section Theme Day
What section will have the best theme this year?
SATURDAY - Blue & White Day!
Embrace your inner Sycamore!
2021 PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
Please note that this is not an exhaustive listing – other performance opportunities may (will) arise. Sufficient advance notice for planning purposes will be given in such cases.
- 12 August – Faculty and Staff Welcome (Sycamore Sound)
- 15 August – Sycamore Welcome
- 16 August - “March through the Arch”
- 28 August – Football: ISU vs. Eastern Illinois University
- 25 September - Football: ISU vs. South Dakota State
- 9 October – Football: ISU vs. Western Illinois
- 23 October –Football: ISU vs. Youngstown State
- 13 November – Football: ISU vs. Southern Illinois
- November/December – BANDquet - TBA