You are here
Department of Theater
THEATER EXPERIENCE FROM DAY ONE
IN A DEPARTMENT THAT IS NURTURING BUT SERIOUS, FOCUSED BUT MULTI-DISCIPLINARY, WITH A CURRICULUM AND PRODUCTIONS THAT ARE DYNAMIC BUT GROUNDED.
The ISU Department of Theater provides a one-of-a-kind, hands-on learning experience in all aspects of theater. Our students work in performance, design, production, direction, and administration before they graduate; this well-rounded training prepares them for a wide variety of roles in the performance and entertainment industries.
Why Study Theater at ISU?
- The Department of Theater has small class sizes for individual attention and one-on-one mentoring.
- We are an undergraduate-only program, which means more theater experience and no competition with graduate students.
- No waiting to get on stage until junior or senior year--ISU theater students can be cast from their first semester.
- Our production season features new and ambitious work, with special attention to student playwrights, designers, and directors.
- Productions at ISU regularly tour abroad; recent tours include Germany, China, Vietnam, and Ireland.
- Our professional summer company in residence, Crossroads Repertory Theatre, allows students to gain professional theater experience and get paid to do what they love before they graduate.
- ISU has brand-new facilities with state-of-the-art equipment. Spaces include proscenium and thrust theaters, performance labs, and design/technology labs.
Interested in joining us?
Follow these 3 Easy Steps:
- Call the ISU Office of Admissions! 1-800-GO-TO-ISU or visit the website. An admissions counselor can help you set up a visit to the University and the Theater Department, as well as help you apply to the University.
- Contact the department (email Alicia Jay or call 812-237-3337) to help coordinate your visit, so that you can explore the aspects of the department that interest you the most.
- Apply for our Creative & Performing Arts Scholarship at The Branch! Once you've applied and been accepted at ISU, you can apply for this scholarship (renewable for up to four years). An audition, design/tech portfolio, or writing sample is required. More information about theater scholarships can be found on the Scholarships tab.
For Department of Theater Tickets: Go to the Tickets page or call (812) 237-3333.
For Production Information: Email Alicia Jay or call (812) 237-3337.
For Hulman Center Tickets: Visit the Hulman Center website or call (877) ISU-TIXS.
Indiana State University has a commitment to inclusion. We provide a welcoming and respectful environment where inclusivity puts diversity into action. As members of the University community we are committed to meaningful intercultural relationships within our University and with our community partners. We believe that the development of our students, faculty, and staff are best supported in a climate that honors diverse experiences and perspectives.
Land Acknowledgement Statement
We want to acknowledge that we gather in the traditional land of the Delaware, Kickapoo, Miami, Mound Builders, Piankashaw, Potawatomi, Shawnee, and Wea. The Wea were a Miami-Illinois originally located in western Indiana. They were part of the larger Illinois Confederation. Peoples past and present, and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations. This calls us to commit to continuing to learn how to be better stewards of the land we inhabit as well.