You are here
About the Department
The Indiana State University Department of Theater provides practical experience and training that equips undergraduate students with a broad-based or a discipline-focused theater education in an inclusive and supportive environment.
A theater education at the award-winning ISU Department of Theater provides our students with:
- A philosophy that encourages initiative, collaboration, and experimentation
- The exclusive use of two theater spaces
- Options of majoring in one of three focus disciplines or minoring in theater
- Small class sizes with an energetic and accessible professional faculty
- Opportunities to engage with new theater works
- Creative and Performing Arts Scholarships available to talented high-school students interested in serious theater study
- Workshops and masterclasses with visiting theater professionals from around the world
- Opportunities for our students to work in tandem with professionals through Crossroads Repertory Theatre, the only professional theater company in the Wabash Valley of west-central Indiana produced by the university each summer.
Theater Experience from Day One
Theater students have unique opportunities for significant participation in the innovative and exciting productions mounted by the department, beginning in their first semester on campus. Within the undergraduate-only curriculum, students are encouraged to collaborate, experiment, and take initiative - inside and outside of the classroom, onstage and off.
Dedication to New Work
The Department of Theater is invested in producing new plays, by current and former students, as well as world premiere productions by established professional playwrights. Additionally, the department produces experimental and devised theatre work on a regular basis.
Commitment to Emerging Technology
The Department is unique in its approach to and application of the latest entertainment industry technologies including digital lighting, sound and video equipment and techniques. Recent technology acquisitions include LED lighting, projection playback hardware and software (media servers) and digital sound mixing and editing equipment. These technologies and ideas are applied regularly in our produced work, preparing our students to enter the contemporary entertainment industry.
We are a small department, which means individualized attention for all students. With around 40 majors, there is plenty of opportunities for students to be cast in shows as well as gain experience backstage.
We have a 6-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio. This means that the faculty know every student. Most theater classes have less than ten students in them.
Professional Theater Experience
Indiana State University is home to Crossroads Repertory Theatre, a professional summer repertory theater company. Students can audition for the shows and apply to work in various production positions. Many even do both! Students can gain paid, professional theater experience before they graduate.