You are here
Instructions for International Students
Listed below are instructions for international students completing masters, educational specialist, and doctoral degrees.
Important: Graduate programs in the following departments have program-specific applications: Applied Medicine and Rehabilitation; Psychology; Social Work; and Communication Disorders, and Counseling, School, and Educational Psychology. Applicants to these programs must contact the program coordinator or visit the department's website prior to submitting any admission materials. [details].
Step 1: Submit the following to Graduate Admissions.
1. Application: Apply on-line.
2. $65.00 application fee (nonrefundable). Payable by Visa, MasterCard, or check or money order payable to Indiana State University (include SSN or student ID). No cash accepted. An application cannot be evaluated until the fee has been received.
3. Official transcripts and credential evaluation. The credential evaluation process can take several weeks to complete, and we strongly urge you to begin the process as early as possible. Your application will not be complete until we have received all of your academic credentials.
- Submit full and complete official academic records from every secondary and post-secondary institution you have attended. You might be required to submit additional documentation to ensure full evaluation.
- We do accept credential evaluation reports from these select members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
6. Copy of passport. If studying in the United States a copy of your current I-94 card, F-1 or J-1 visa, and I-20 or DS2019 are also required. If currently in the United States but not studying, a copy of the applicable visa must also be submitted.
8. Please upload any additional application materials required by the department as part of the online application process (if required), for example, statement of purpose, resumes/curriculum vitae. All international students should upload the affidavit of financial support and other required documents to the online application. Refer to the admissions requirements for individual programs published in the graduate catalog or contact the program director as the required documents vary.
Step 2: To expedite the receipt of I-20, please read these instructions.
Indiana State University
318 North Sixth Street
Terre Haute, IN 47809-1904
Deadlines vary by program. Contact the academic department or program coordinator to determine admission deadlines and other important dates.
Some of our programs have start term restrictions. Please, contact the program director for more detail.
Note: Applicants are responsible for completing the application process in a timely fashion. The College of Graduate and Professional Studies is not responsible for delays caused by mailing services. Please note that an application will not be reviewed until all required documents are received.
Admission is evaluated based on the strength of the application, including:
- Undergraduate GPA or previous graduate GPA
- GRE or GMAT test scores (if required by the program)
- Recommendation letters (if required by the program) *
- Statement of purpose (if required by the program)
* To be used for admission the recommendation letters must come directly from the people who give you the recommendations. We do not accept recommendation letters sent by the applicants themselves.
Indiana State University grants regular, conditional, and provisional admission status. [details]
English Proficiency Requirement
Students must meet ISU requirements for English proficiency to be eligible for admission. Students may demonstrate proficiency by meeting one of the following criteria:
- TOEFL with minimum score of 550 (paper examination)
- TOEFL with minimum score of 79 (internet-based examination)
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 213 (computer based examination)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.5
- Interlink Language Center: successful completion of Level 5
- ELS: successful completion of Level 112
- GRE scores with a minimum score of 149 in verbal
- Intensive English Program at Indiana University: successful completion of Level 6
- MELAB with minimum score of 77
- The Language Company: successful completion of Level 9
- Spring International Language Center: successful completion of Level 6
- Ball State University IEI: successful completion of Level 6
- Completion of a prior degree at a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an English speaking country.
For TOEFL and GRE submission through ETS, please, use Indiana State University’s code: 1322.
View a list of TOEFL exempt countries.