You are here
Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Indiana State University
Where Curiosity Never Retires
OLLI (the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Indiana State University) is a member-centered community of adult learners that offers programs designed for men and women age 50 and "better" who wish to pursue lifelong learning in a relaxed non-competitive atmosphere with a dynamic schedule of programs and activities that includes courses, presentations, special events, and travel opportunities. There are no entrance requirements, grades, or tests; it's your experience, and your love of learning that counts, no college background is needed. OLLI collaborates with not only Indiana State University, Rose-Hulman Institute for Technology, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, but numerous local organizations and not-for-profits in the Wabash Valley.
Thanks to the generosity of The Bernard Osher Foundation, OLLI at Indiana State University joins a network of more than 119 Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes across the United States. OLLI at ISU is the only Osher Institute in the state of Indiana and when joined with the other Osher Institutes are meeting the needs of over 130,000 older learners who want to learn simply for the joy of learning and personal fulfillment.
Thank you OLLI Sponsors!
WHO ARE OLLI MEMBERS?
OLLI members are actively involved in selecting the topics to be explored, and share their expertise and interests while serving as teachers and learners. Our members, from diverse backgrounds and professions, share the desire to stay intellectually active and engaged. There are no tests, no grades, no prerequisites, and all class participation is voluntary. No one is a stranger for long at OLLI, because everyone who joins has the same desire to learn in the company of peers, friendships are made easily. Be it in class, special event trips or luncheons, or at any of the weekly presentations, people gather together to enjoy casual conversation, share opinions, or just to meet new people.
WHAT DOES OLLI OFFER?
Classes cover academic subjects in history, music, political science, writing, literature, philosophy, science, religion, global issues, and more. Presentations and Special Events expand the OLLI academic curriculum for adults. Our motto is “PRIOR KNOWLEDGE IS NOT REQUIRED WHEN FUTURE KNOWLEDGE IS DESIRED.”
WHEN ARE CLASSES HELD?
OLLI offers lifelong learning experiences throughout the entire year. The fall session starts at the beginning of September, the winter term starts at the beginning of January, and the summer term at the beginning of May. Many but not all courses are held at Indiana State University. OLLI offers programs in varying locations around Terre Haute.
WHO TEACHES THE CLASSES?
Most discussion classes are facilitated by OLLI members who have professional knowledge of, or scholarly interest in, a subject. Some are presentation classes taught by current or retired faculty members from area higher education institutions, community and civic leaders, and independent scholars. Others may take place at a museum, artist's studio, or theater where the resident professional teaches the class.
OLLI at ISU Offers
- An affordable annual membership or a semester-based membership that provides courses, special events, trips, and free weekly presentations
- A robust learning community of around 500 members
- Programs year-round at the beautiful Indiana State University Campus and various locations throughout the Wabash Valley
- Single presentation or multi-session classes in three separate terms: Fall, Winter/Spring, Summer
- Volunteer opportunities
- Class instructors with exceptional subject matter expertise
With OLLI at ISU You Can
- Delve deeply into intriguing academic subjects or enjoy lighter classes on scores of fun topics
- Discover our areas history and natural beauty on local and regional day trips
- Explore both United States and international locations with like-minded travelers
- Partake in delicious cuisine and wine at distinctive restaurants
- Enjoy theater, opera, dance, photography, and more with special events
We invite you to look at our current program offerings on our online registration site.
Explore our abundance of opportunities and become mentally engaged. Add life to your years by staying active and exercising your mind!