The ISU Travel Department assists University departments by relaying information, explaining and interpreting travel policies and procedures, processing Travel Authorizations, processing Travel Reimbursements, and keeping accurate travel records. We will make our best effort to ensure that you will receive reimbursement for travel expenses within five working days from the time your complete and accurate expense report has been fully approved. 

Official University travel is defined as travel by University personnel, non-University personnel, and University students when the authorizing individuals consider such travel to be in the professional and/or business interest of both the traveler and the University. Such expenses may include transportation, lodging, subsistence, and registration fees. Travelers are expected to observe the University's policies and procedures in the type and amount of expenses incurred. In order for your reimbursement to be non-taxable, you must follow ISU's Accountable Plan Guidelines. ISU will only pay for travel that is properly authorized.

All student travel, including local field trips, require pre-approval through the University’s travel authorization system. 

Field trip information also must be submitted to the Office of Risk Management. Field trip information is available at:

International Travel Warnings/Alerts: The Vice President of your area or Provost must review and approve faculty/staff/student travel to countries/areas for which the U.S. State Department has issued a Travel Warning or Alert (see U.S. Department of State Travel Alerts). Approvals will also be needed if the U.S. State Department issues a Travel Alert or Warning after the initial authorization was granted, but prior to the date of the actual trip. It is the responsibility of the traveler to get approval prior to departure. Please see the International Travel section below for additional information.

Visit the tabs below to learn more about the travel policies and procedures of the University.


Travel Checklists

All University travel must be approved in advance from their appropriate authorizing official- Department Chair, Administrator, Dean, Vice President, or President. This includes individuals visiting ISU (candidates, honoraria, consultants, etc.). A Chrome River Pre-Approval (or blanket) is no longer mandatory for trips in which you will only be seeking mileage reimbursement. You are now able to submit an Expense Report without a Pre-Approval for mileage. A fully authorized Pre-Approval in the Chrome River system is ONLY required when you anticipate you will incur expenses for Airfare, Car Rental, or Hotel or any other items that will be charged as a direct bill.


  1. Traveler or Delegate: Complete a Pre-Approval in Chrome River that includes travel details and estimates for each expense category. If the traveler is an individual visiting ISU such as a candidate, honoraria, consultant, speaker, etc. a Pre-Approval must be completed under the Chrome River account of an ISU employee. Submission of the Pre-Approval acknowledges that travel is directly related to University business. See Chrome River Travel Procedure Manual for more details. All travel reimbursements for employees are completed via direct deposit. Accounts Payable direct deposit is different from Payroll. Please refer to the Direct Deposit page for more information.
  2. A blanket Pre-Approval should be used for employees whose primary job duties require travel on a routine and repeating basis. The department would not have to create a new Pre-Approval each time the individual travels while allowing for multiple reimbursements to be submitted against the same Pre-Approval. During the process of creating the Pre-Approval in Chrome River, select the box labeled "Blanket" on the header page. A blanket Pre-Approval will not require the city and state to be entered as the travel may be completed at multiple locations on different dates.
  3. Pre-Approvals are not required for official business travel that will not result in a reimbursement. Divisions and/or departments should implement their own approval requirements that include, at a minimum, verbal approval by the traveler's supervisor. If you have questions about completing the Pre-Approval, please contact a Travel Account Specialist at x3541.

Department: Make sure funds are available within your travel budget to cover estimates. If the budget is not available the Pre-Approval may be held up or returned. If the travel has a maximum payable amount that the department will reimburse make sure the total estimate of the Pre-Approval does not exceed the maximum allowed. Direct bill expenses should be included in the total estimate. Authorizing Official(s): Routing steps for Pre-Approvals and Expense Reports are determined by the financial managers of the organization and fund associated with the Index being used, the type of travel, and the total amount being requested. Foreign travel and any requests above $2,000 are automatically routed to the Dean (if applicable) and the Office of the Vice President. The Grant Department the associated Principal Invesigator will be in the routing steps for all indexes related to grant funding. Controller’s Office: Travel Account Specialist will review the Pre-Approval, checking for appropriate estimates, validating that adequate funds are available to cover the estimated expenditures and that travel is an appropriate expenditure of University funds. If a Pre-Approval is filled out incorrectly, incomplete, or does not have appropriate authorization, it will be returned to the traveler for editing or explanation and re-submission. Department/Traveler: Once the Pre-Approval has been fully approved, a Travel Authorization number will be created in Banner. All Travel Authorization Numbers will begin with "TA" followed by a 6-digit number and will be emailed directly to the traveler. This is not the Pre-Approval report number generated in Chrome River. The traveler will use the "TA" number when booking all travel arrangements with any preferred travel provider for airfare, car rental or lodging and include it in any forms submitted directly to the Travel Department.

During Travel:

Traveler: Get and keep original "itemized" receipts for EVERYTHING including hotel/motel, taxi, parking, registration, etc. A credit card receipt is not an acceptable receipt or invoice if it is not itemized. Save all original receipts until reimbursement has been completed through Chrome River and payment received. ISU will only reimburse the standard room rate.

Within 120 Days After Trip (30 days if there is a Cash Advance):

  1. Traveler/Department: Submit an Expense Report in Chrome River if the traveler is requesting reimbursement. Chrome River will not allow the Expense Report to be submitted without an attached receipt for all expenses that require documentation. Make sure that the receipt is legible. Travel expenditures that were not approved on the Pre-Approval prior to the trip may not be eligible for reimbursement and are the responsibility of the traveler.
  2. Controller’s Office: Approve Expense Report after auditing each line item for actual cost and eligibility. Return all Expense Reports that are completed incorrectly, lack authorization, or do not have necessary receipts attached.
  3. Authorizing Official(s): Routing steps for Expense Reports are determined by the financial managers of the organization and fund associated with the Index being used, the type of travel, and the total amount being requested. Foreign travel and any requests above $2,000 are automatically routed to the Dean (if applicable) and the Office of the Vice President. The Grant Department and the associated Principal Invesigator will be in the routing steps for all indexes related to grant funding.

Travel Without a Pre-Approval

As soon as staff become aware of the need to travel, begin the Pre-Approval process in Chrome River. The Pre-Approval report should ideally be approved before the travel starts. Your reimbursement may be denied if proper Pre-Approval is not obtained. The only instance where a Pre-Approval is not required is when it is for business travel that will not result in a reimbursement. However departments should implement their own approval requirements that should include either a written or verbal pre-approval by the traveler’s supervisor. On the rare occasion that a Pre-Approval was not completed prior to travel, the traveler may still request reimbursement via a Check Request and Chrome River Expense Report.

  1. Create a Chrome River Expense Report showing the detail of all expenses (see Reimbursements section). This information will be used to support the legitimacy of expenses during an audit. Note that Chrome River will not allow this form to be submitted for approval, but it can be completed and printed.
  2. Complete a Check Request and attach your Chrome River Expense report and include a Memo or comment stating your reason for not following ISU Travel policy and procedure. The Check Request should be signed by your Department Head and Dean (if applicable). Any Request over $2,000 or for International travel should be approved by your Vice President or Provost as well.
  3. Attach all receipts, unless the Expense Report includes images. In order to capture this documentation from Chrome River, click on the expense report to be printed, select "Full Report with Notes & Receipts" from the PDF drop down and then print.

Field Trips

A Pre-Approval must be filled out and funds encumbered for travel, including travel for field trips. A list of names for all graduate and undergraduate students participating, along with their University ID numbers will be needed attached to the Pre-Approval created under the account of the ISU employee that is accompanying the students.

Review the information found on the Office of Risk Management site regarding field trip procedures and liability coverage before field trip arrangements are made.

International Travel

Foreign travel is defined as travel to, between, or within countries 'outside' the United States and its territories and possessions, including Canada and Mexico. All foreign travel will be reimbursed using Federal Foreign Travel Reimbursement Rates (OCONUS). For travel outside the U.S. travelers should check the entry requirements for the specific country to which they are traveling. This information is available on the U.S. Department of State Country Information web site. Chrome River automatically routes all international Pre-Approvals to the appropriate Dean (if applicable) and Vice President or Provost to review and approve faculty/staff/student travel to countries/areas for which the U.S. State Department has issued a Travel Warning or Alert (see U.S. Department of State Travel Alerts). Additional approval will also be needed if the U.S. State Department issues a Travel Alert or Warning after the initial authorization was granted, but prior to the date of the actual trip. It is the responsibility of the traveler to get approval prior to departure.

Additionally, the STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) is a free service provided by the U.S. Department of State which allows the traveler to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Benefits of this enrollment include receiving important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency and help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency. Indiana State University encourages all international travelers to enroll in this program.

Federally Funded Air Travel

When federal funds are used for international air tickets, travelers must comply with the Fly America Act. This act mandates that any foreign travel paid from federal funds, including foreign travelers coming to the U.S., must be accomplished through U.S. Flag Air Carriers. Please refer to the Fly America Act for more information.

Cash Advances for Foreign Travel

Travel Cash Advances are allowed for foreign travel. Money the University gives you in advance or after your trip will be paid in U.S. currency. You are responsible for exchanging those dollars for the currency of the foreign country you visit. Keep track of the exchange rates you receive as you travel (e.g., from Thomas Cook, a bank, hotel receipts, your notes on meal receipts, or even your AMEX bill). Cash advances are requested at the time the Pre-Approval is submitted. Please see the instructions by logging into the Help section of the Chrome River Welcome Page. Chrome River has a currency converter built in for your convenience. Please enter the currency type, transaction date, and amount. The system will convert to the USD rate. It is important to provide the correct date for each transaction. This is the date the expense was incurred.

Travel Account Codes


Only budget for travel is to be recorded within this account code.

70500 - Travel Budget Pool


70580 - Registration


Professional development travel is designed to expose faculty and staff to developments in their fields and other areas of knowledge that may be utilized to improve our operations. This type of travel focuses primarily on attending conferences and other training opportunities. The following account codes are to be used when coding professional development travel:

70550 - Lodging, Per Diem

70600 - Airfare

70625 - Car Rental

70650 - Other Transportation (mileage, taxi, parking, bus, train, tolls, etc.)


Operational travel is defined as travel that your job requires in order to operate the University on a daily basis. Examples of this type of travel include the delivery of educational programs to off-campus locations and attendance at government meetings related to the operation of the University. The following account codes are to be used when coding operational travel expenditures:

70675 - Operational – Lodging, Per Diem

70685 - Operational – Transportation

70685 - Other Travel (parking, shuttles, baggage, misc.)


Student recruiting travel is targeted travel that is designed to promote student recruitment. The following account codes are to be used when coding strategic travel expenditures:

70670 - Student Recruitment


70850 - Field Trip Travel (Student traveling with faculty or alone, including field work)


70160 - Honorarium (speakers, consultants, etc.)

70560 – Athletic Recruiting

70615 - International Airfare

70630 - Enterprise Rent-A-Car Fuel

70750 - Team Travel (for athletic competition only)

70775 - Candidate Travel (for entertainment and travel expenses of candidates for employment)

70800 - Board Travel (to pay travel expenses of board members only)

Transportation & Lodging

Transportation & Lodging

The most economical means of transportation and lodging should be used when traveling on University business. Click on the headings below to learn more about topics related to transportation and lodging. Please note that travel allowances are not granted within the confines of Vigo County.

Travel Packages

As a way to save money, some travelers may consider booking a package with airfare, hotel and/or car rental on a discount website such as Expedia, Orbitz or Priceline. The IRS requires that the expense of each travel component (airfare, hotel, car, etc.) be listed out separately on an itemized statement from the vendor. When purchasing travel packages, it is important to make sure an itemized statement is obtained because, without proper substantiation, expense reimbursements will be treated as taxable income and will be reimbursed through Payroll. Please see airline travel guidelines below

Airline Travel

All airline travel using University funds must be purchased through the University's preferred travel agency or online provider (See Direct Billing section below). Tickets will be direct billed to the University. The preferred travel agency has a professional staff that is familiar with the University's guidelines and travel procedures. They are trained to find the lowest fare possible that meets the traveler's needs.

First class travel is not allowed.

Airfare upgrades and additional fees: Airlines may offer you a number of options to make your flight more comfortable. These upgrades may include but are not limited to:

  • Premium seating — more leg room, closer to the front of the plane, etc.
  • Early check-in
  • Seat changes

This type of cost can only be interpreted as an upgrade and beyond what is considered the standard airfare and baggage costs that the university would consider reimbursable. If you elect to purchase one of these options, it will be at your own expense and would not be reimbursed.

Airport Parking

General Airport Parking Guidelines

Airport parking should be reimbursed up to the equivalency of the long term parking rate for reasonable parking expenses incurred by the traveler. While it is impractical to list parking rates for every airport in the country or even in the State, there are some general guidelines that all University travelers are to follow when parking at airports.

  • Economy, long-term, or off-premises parking serviced by shuttle is preferred, when available.
  • The University will not reimburse upcharges for premium or valet airport parking.
  • Receipts with details are required.

See these websites for helpful airport parking resources:

Indianapolis Airport

FastPark ISU Enrollment - IND Airport

World Airport Guides

Privately-Owned Vehicles

Travel in private vehicles is reimbursed as mileage. The amount paid for mileage is intended to compensate the traveler for wear and tear and gas. The official station (starting point) will be the location of the traveler's permanent office or home, whichever is less. Whenever an employee travels other than by the shortest route, an explanation must be indicated on the Expense Report. Mileage reimbursement will be calculated in Chrome River using Google maps.

Only one round trip mileage to and from the Indianapolis airport is allowed for reimbursement with the exception of picking up a candidate or an honoraria person. University employees are expected, when possible, to share a vehicle when traveling to common events.

Use of a private vehicle on University business will be reimbursed based on the current Federal mileage rate (these rates will be updated each time the Federal rates change):

  • January 1 through December 31, 2023 Rates
  • Full Federal rate for the first 500 miles (currently 65.5 cents)
  • One half of Federal rate per mile for the next 2,500 miles (currently 32.75 cents)
  • 0 cents per mile for all miles over 3,000
  • January 1,2024 Rates
  • Full Federal rate for the first 500 miles (currently 67 cents)
  • One half of Federal rate per mile for the next 2,500 miles (currently 33.5 cents)
  • 0 cents per mile for all miles over 3,000

ISU does not generally reimburse mileage for use of a personal vehicle within Vigo County. The exception being local travel is a part of your job to support University sponsored activities such as visiting local schools or businesses. Local mileage reimbursement may require an additional level of approval if it is not clearly stated as a part of your routine job duties.

Rental Vehicles

The cost of renting an automobile while on University business may be reimbursed when suitable local transportation is not available, or when such rental is considered more advantageous to the University than the use of taxies or other local transportation due to routing or time factors. When reserving your car, you should request the least expensive practical vehicle. Do not purchase additional insurance when renting a car (see ISU car insurance policy).

Eligibility Requirements

To rent a vehicle for University business, all drivers must be 25 years old and take the Defensive Driving Course. To rent a 12 passenger van, the driver must take a driving test with a driver’s education instructor. Contact Risk Management at ext. 7946, or go to the Office of Risk Management website.

Direct Billing Rental

The University has direct billing contract with Enterprise. [NOTE: You must use your University Username and password to access the Enterprise site.] You must have a valid Travel Authorization number (TA) to direct bill a rental vehicle. When renting a car through Enterprise (Wabash Ave. branch), you will be required to refuel the vehicle at the same level as it was received before returning it to Enterprise. Maintain your refueling receipts, which will be submitted with your Expense Report. Please keep in mind that refueling rates charged by the rental agency are extremely expensive.

If you have questions regarding Enterprise/National direct billing, please contact a Travel Account Specialist (x3541) or Catherine Procarione (x3525).

Other Rental Arrangement

When renting a car that will not be direct billed through Enterprise, remember to refuel your rental car prior to its return and save the gas receipts for reimbursement. Refueling rates charged by the rental agency are extremely expensive. Your receipts will be submitted with the Travel Expense Report.

Drive Vs. Fly Rule

The mileage reimbursement cannot exceed the cost of comparable 30-day advance purchase airfare rates. Persons who choose to drive rather than fly long distances are allowed to claim subsistence and lodging one day prior and one day after official ISU Business for travel expenses.

Other Means of Travel

Other means of travel are available in lieu of commercial airlines and cars. Unless noted otherwise, the Pre-Approval and Expense Report process is the same. Save all receipts related to these modes of transportation.

  • Train tickets are reimbursed up to the lowest airfare cost available for your destination.
  • Bus tickets are reimbursed at the actual cost of the ticket.
  • Motorcycle mileage is reimbursed using the same rates as privately-owned vehicles.
  • Trailers, motor homes, or camper mileage is reimbursed using the same rates as privately-owned vehicles, plus the actual cost of space rental. Trailer rentals or leases are not reimbursable.
  • Employee piloted aircraft (either rented or privately-owned) is not authorized or reimbursable travel.
  • Charter aircraft is contracted through the preferred travel provider.


You will need a Travel Authorization (TA) number before you can make your reservation. A TA number will be issued after a Pre-Approval is completed, approved, and uploaded into Banner. Emails are sent to the traveller with their TA number on a daily basis.

Important – Lodging paid using a personal credit card will be reimbursed after the trip has been taken by completing an Expense Report.

Reimbursable vs. Non-Reimbursable Lodging

Reimbursable Lodging

The following are allowable reimbursements for lodging expenses:

  • Standard Occupancy room rate
  • Applicable taxes
  • 3 minute phone call home to say you have arrived safely
  • Hotel parking
  • Business faxes
  • Business photo copy charges

Non-Reimbursable Lodging

The following examples are non-reimbursable lodging expenses:

  • Movies
  • Room service
  • Mini bars (alcohol)
  • Gratuity
  • Porters

Sharing a Room

When sharing a room with an ISU employee or student, the total room charge may be claimed by only one traveler as long as it is noted on each of the Expense Reports involved.

If each person is claiming their prorated share of the total room charge, the travelers will need to request a hotel bill to be issued in both of their names showing payment by each person.

The Expense Report for each traveler must reflect that the room was shared and with whom it was shared.

Prepaid Expenses

Prepaid Expenses

Registration Fees

Registration fees can be paid in the following ways:

Procurement Card: The preferred method of payment for registration fees is the Purchasing Card Site (Procard). If the registration fee is greater than your credit limit, you will need to pay via check request or personal credit card. All University travel must be approved prior to payment of registration fees with the Procard. Please make sure you have a Pre-Approval in place prior to your trip.

Policies and procedures regarding the Procard may be found by visiting the Purchasing Card site. For additional questions regarding this process, contact Kim McCleary-Beams at Ext. 3519 or

Check Request: The University will prepay registration fees for a conference if a Procard is not used via a Check Request. Forward the check request plus two copies of the registration form to the Travel Department in the Office of the Controller for payment (one copy to mail & one copy as backup). Please allow five (5) days for processing. If a non-reimbursable expense has been incurred via the registration fee (spouse ticket, entertainment, etc.) this must be paid back to the University with a personal check.

Personal Check/Credit Card: The traveler can prepay for registration with a personal credit card or check, but will not be able to claim reimbursement for it until after the travel has been completed.

Travelers should register early to reserve the sessions, workshops, and lodging of their choice. You may register for any meals pertinent to the trip, such as roundtable discussions, seminars, or speakers. Do not claim subsistence on your Expense Report for the meals that are included in the conference registration fee.

If the form includes registration for a "night on the town", tour, or other such fun, sign up remembering that such events are considered entertainment, and thus, you pay for them yourself. If you are registering online, please make sure to print the registration page before actually completing registration to be used for payment of subsistence.

Chrome River: The traveler can prepay for registration, but will not be able to claim reimbursement for it until after the travel has been completed. Registration can be reimbursed on the Expense Report created in Chrome River.

Travel Cash Advances

Travel Cash advances are only allowed for:

  • Field trips
  • Foreign travel

A travel cash advance may not be requested by anyone who already has an open cash advance.


A request for Cash Advqance is completed with the Pre-Approval in Chrome River. Please see detailed instructions listed on the help section of the Chrome River Welcome page.


All Cash Advances must be closed out within thirty (30) days after returning from the trip. The Cash Advance close out is completed on the Expense Report in Chrome River. Please see the detailed instructions listed in the help section of the Chrome River Welcome page.

Misc. Expenses

Misc. Expenses

While traveling, you will incur expenses for items other than your airfare, conference registration, lodging, meals, and car rental. The University reimburses you for some of these miscellaneous expenses. Some miscellaneous expenses are not reimbursable. It's usually best to be aware of what is and is not reimbursable before you spend your money and run the risk of discovering that the University, by law, cannot repay you. Before you travel, check with your department, review the lists below, and contact the Travel Account Specialists if you have particular concerns about extra expenses. All Reimbursements must be submitted within 60 days of travel. (See Accountable Plan Guidelines).


Reimbursable Expenses

The following lists some of the most common reimbursable expenses:

Getting Around

  • Busses
  • Baggage Fees
  • Limousine
  • Parking – Hotel parking is fully reimbursable. Airport parking should be reimbursed up to the equivalency of the long term parking rate for reasonable parking expenses incurred by the traveler. See Airport Parking under Transportation and Lodging for additional airport parking guidelines.
  • Shuttles
  • Taxi, Uber, Lyft, Ride Share, etc.
  • Tolls


  • Internet Fees at your Hotel
  • Faxes for business purposes

Foreign Travel

  • Passport and/or Visa fees
  • Immunizations
  • Foreign currency exchange fees

Non-Reimbursable Expenses

The following are some examples of items the traveler might have to incur themselves:

Entertainment Expenses

  • Meals for other people
  • Food in excess of the daily subsistence amount
  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco
  • Video, VCR, TV or radio rentals
  • Event tickets
  • Taxis or other transportation to and from entertainment events

Personal Expenses

  • Any kind of insurance
  • Extra boarding fees for seat assignment or early boarding check in
  • Medical and hospital services
  • Commuting expenses between your home and work station
  • Additional transportation, hotel or other expenses for personal travel in conjunction with University travel
  • Personal phone calls
  • Laundry



Click on the headings below for information regarding the reimbursement of travel expenses.

Create an Expense Report in Chrome River to request reimbursement for travel expenses incurred on official University business. Employees cannot be reimbursed for the same travel expenses from an outside organization and the University. Please see detailed instructions listed on the help section of the Chrome River Welcome Page.

Timing of Travel Reimbursements

An Expense Report will need to be submitted no more than 120 days after the last day of travel listed on the Pre-Approval. Any travel submitted after 120 days of your return will become taxable income and must be processed on a One Time Only (See Accountable Plan Guidelines).

Direct Deposit

Employees are required to sign up for direct deposit for travel reimbursements. Direct deposit facilitates a significant cost savings and provides a more efficient means of payment disbursement. Reducing the number of checks sent through U.S. mail and campus mail also reduces the likelihood of lost checks.

Sign up for direct deposit for travel reimbursements here. Please note: Direct deposit for travel reimbursement is separate from direct deposit for payroll. Contact the travel department if you have questions (ext: 3541).

See Cash Advances under Pre-Paid Expenses above for instructions for closing out a travel cash advance.


Subsistence includes meals, tips, porters, and other miscellaneous incidental expenses. Subsistence is reimbursed based on location of lodging. Chrome River will automatically calculate the rate of Per Diem based on the city, state, and/or country that has been entered. Subsistence for overnight travel on University business will be based on federal per diem rates for all 50 States and U.S. territories (CONUS). This includes travel within the State of Indiana. All foreign travel will be reimbursed using Federal Foreign Travel Reimbursement Rates (OCONUS). All travel required to follow state regulations (state grants) will be reimbursed at the approved state per diem rates. Subsistence is paid at the rate applicable to the location of lodging obtained for the night. If a city is not found on the CONUS list then the lowest CONUS rate is applicable. On the day travel status begins and on the day travel status ends, the rate will be 75% of one day’s subsistence. Persons are allowed to claim subsistence and lodging one day before and one day after the date of ISU business.

When reimbursement for subsistence is claimed, the traveler shall verify that no meals were furnished. The exceptions being:

  • Continental breakfast
  • Finger foods or hors d'oeuvres
  • Receptions

When attending a conference or meeting, a full copy of the agenda must be included indicating which meals were provided. If a meal is provided, no subsistence shall be claimed for that meal, and the per diem must be adjusted by deducting the appropriate meal from that day’s allowance.

  • Breakfast 25% of applicable CONUS rate
  • Lunch 25% of applicable CONUS rate
  • Dinner 50% of applicable CONUS rate

Actual Food Expenses

The actual cost of meals may be claimed in lieu of subsistence ONLY if the expenses are LESS than or EQUAL to the total subsistence allowed. Receipts must be provided. The University does not reimburse for alcoholic beverages.

Meals on One Day Trips (no overnight stay)

Generally, reimbursement to faculty and staff are not allowed for subsistence or meals receipts for any one day (non-overnight) trips. On the occasion when a traveler needs to attend a business meal during a trip, actual meal expenses (as opposed to per diem) are reimbursed. All reimbursements for business travel meals must include the Hospitality form and actual food receipts are required. Reasonable meal expenses related to travel of one day or less may be claimed for the following cases:

  • When a meal at a convention, conference or meeting is part of the agenda and the cost of the meal has not previously been paid with the registration fee. The menu and the cost are arranged by the event organizers and beyond the control of the claimant. Receipt and proof that the meal is part of the agenda are required. If one individual is seeking reimbursement for a group of faculty/staff, all employee’s names should be included on a Hospitality Form.
  • When directed or required to attend mealtime business meetings, including community or public relations meetings. Receipt and Hospitality Form which states a clear business purpose are required.
  • Meal expenses for a student group on a one-day trip may be reimbursed at the actual cost (should be reasonable compared to current federal per-diem rate for that city). An itemized receipt is required and the request for payment must state that the expenses result from a trip by a student group. University faculty/staff or group leaders who accompany and are responsible for the care, custody, or control of the group are also eligible for meal-expense reimbursement. Students must be greater in number than faculty/staff. When a single reimbursement (receipt) is requested for multiple employees, all employee’s names should be identified on a Hospitality Form.

Direct Billing

Direct Billing

The ISU Travel Department partners with a number of providers to offer convenient direct billing options for travel expenses. Click on the headings below for more information regarding direct billing vendors.

Airfare Direct Billing

Altour Travel Agency

Phone: 800-428-6186 / (317) 844-8735
After hours: 866-203-5793
Fax: 317-573-0679
Altour Information and Training

For International Group Airfare Contact:

Ingrid Mountain
Milne Travel
203-672-5977 (desk)
203-415-0304 (cell)

Car Rental Direct Billing

Enterprise Car Rental

FREE unlimited daily and weekly mileage for business travel.
Phone: 812-235-1527
[NOTE: You must use your University Username and password to access this site.]
Must have a valid driver's license, your TA number and completion of the safety course with Risk Management.

Hotel Direct Billing

ISU has direct billing arrangements with the hotels listed below in Terre Haute.

In order to receive the rates listed below for area hotels, the individual hotel must be contacted directly. A travel authorization number is required at the time of booking in order to have the charge direct billed to ISU.

NOTE: Prices listed below do not include taxes. (Hotels are not tax exempt.) The rates listed below are subject to change without notice by the hotels.

Terre Haute Hotels

Candlewood Suites

$90.99 per night/plus tax
721 Wabash Ave
Terre Haute, IN 47807
Phone: (812) 234-3400 / Fax: (812) 234-3144

Drury Inn

$89 per night
3040 Hwy 41 S
Terre Haute, IN 47802
Phone: (812) 238-1206 / Fax: same

Fairfield Inn

$89.99 king or double per night
475 E Margaret Ave
Terre Haute, IN 47802
Phone: (812) 235-2444 / Fax: same

Hilton Garden Inn

$119 per night, includes breakfast buffet
750 Wabash Ave
Terre Haute, IN 47807
Phone: (812) 234-8900 / Fax: (812) 234-8903

Holiday Inn Express & Suites

ISU receives 15% off the daily rate. You must have a Travel Authorization number and notify the guest service attendant that you are with ISU in order to receive this discount.
2645 Joe Fox St
Terre Haute, IN 47803
Phone: (812) 234-3200 / Fax: (812) 234-6070

Home2 Suites Terre Haute

$119.00 - Standard Room
$139.00 - Deluxe Room
2625 Lucy Jane Lane
Terre Haute, IN 47803
Phone: (812) 814-4400 / Fax: 812-814-4420

Springhill Suites by Marriott

$114 per night
3304 US Highway 41 South
Terre Haute,IN 47802
Phone: (812) 235-0696