You are here
Fall Event Planning
COVID-19 Related Guidance for Large Events and Gatherings
The following mitigation activities are required for all events held on the Indiana State University campus starting on July 6 and continuing through the Fall 2020 semester. ISU-sponsored events held off-campus also are subject to the following guidance.
Event and Venue Capacity
- Events and gatherings hosted by student organizations either on or off campus may not exceed 25 people. Exceptions may be granted for University-sponsored events that meet Indiana State University and Division of Student Affairs event guidelines. This capacity limit is in place through December 31. Questions about student organization events should be directed to the Office of Campus Life.
- Events and gatherings hosted by ISU departments and offices or external users cannot exceed 50.
- Events and gatherings that serve high-risk populations may not exceed 10 people.
- In addition to capacity guidelines listed above, no event can exceed 25% of venue capacity.
- Co-curricular classroom use is limited to closed membership meetings, study sessions or invitation-only events. Events that are advertised and open to the public and/or campus community may not be scheduled in classrooms during the fall semester.
- Provide guest education for all events. Information about event protocols and health and hygiene concerns for events must be communicated through social media, web page posts, E-mail blasts, campus announcements and/or other appropriate channels prior to the event.
- Implement registration for events as a means of controlling event size.
- Require attendees at events to complete the Sycamore Symptom Assessment and display their green check prior to entering an event. If this requirement is not feasible, develop and implement other procedures to check for signs and symptoms of guests upon arrival. Event organizers may post signage listing symptom questions. Participants that answer yes to any of the questions cannot participate in the event. All student events should require attendees to display their daily green check.
- Encourage anyone who is sick to stay home.
- Create and implement a plan to isolate an employee or guest that gets sick during your event.
Personal Responsibility of Staff and Guests
- All ISU students and employees must complete the Sycamore Symptom Assessment each day that they come to campus.
- Require face coverings at all indoor and outdoor campus events.
- Encourage personal protective measures among staff and guests (e.g., stay home when sick, handwashing, respiratory etiquette).
- Encourage staff and guests to stay home when sick and notify Human Resources (faculty and staff) or the Dean of Students (students) of illness.
Social Distancing Measures
- Alter start time of events and programs when multiple events are scheduled in the same building.
- Schedule guest arrival times for larger events.
- Reduce the frequency of large gatherings.
- Consider remote events, when feasible.
- Require guests to pick up programs or other handouts. Prohibit staff from passing out materials.
- If guests must stand in line, practice social distancing between individuals or small connected groups.
- Handbills and giveaway items are discouraged. If giveaway items are provided these items should be distributed through a “grab and go” process and individually wrapped. Flyers, handbills, brochures and programs should be distributed through a “grab and go” process. Tables at outdoor events must be six-feet apart.
- Clean and disinfect event spaces between each event.
- Clean restroom multiple times throughout the day
- Increase spacing between individuals is required. Increased spacing between small, connected groups also is allowed for tabled events.
- Train all employees and volunteers on health and safety protocols.
Restrictions on Types of Events
- No in-person conferences, workshops or similar events that draw significant participation from beyond the Wabash Valley. Organizers of these events should consider converting to an on-line format. Recruitment events are allowed with the mitigation requirements outlined in this document.
- No fairs unless social distancing is practiced through the entirety of the event. Participants and exhibitors must wear face coverings.
- No receptions or networking events unless social distancing is practiced throughout the entirety of the event. Face coverings are required at all times. Food service at receptions is limited to individually packaged food and beverage items or food plated and served and/or beverages poured and served by Sodexo employees. Alcohol service is limited to served wine at the table. Guests at receptions must be seated while eating and drinking.
- Events sponsored by external organizations or University events with mostly external guests are limited to Sycamore Banquet Center, Heritage Ballroom and Lounge, Tilson Auditorium and Hulman Center. No community or external events allowed in classroom buildings or the Hulman Memorial Student Union (except Sycamore Banquet Center).
- Political campaign events will be managed the same as other externally-focused events.
- Off-campus events organized and sponsored by Indiana State University are subject to the mitigations activities outlined in this document.
Additional Guidance for Outdoor Events
- Outdoor events are subject to the same capacity restrictions, screening requirements, face covering and social distancing requirements and other guidelines as indoor events.
- As prior to COVID-19, outdoor venues may only be scheduled by University organizations and departments.
- Outdoor events are limited to the following schedulable spaces: Dede Plaza, the Quad, Wolf Field, East, Kennedy Field, the field north of University Hall, the field west of the HHS building and Residence Hall “courtyards” (i.e. Reeve or between Cromwell and Rhodes).
- All outdoor events require approval of the Special Events Committee. The Special Events Request form is available on the Conference and Event Services website, http://venues.indstate.edu/forms. The application requires an explanation of how event organizers will encourage social distancing and remain compliant with ISU’s COVID-19 Event Protocols.
- Banners and/or posters, event flyers and event invitations that remind participants of social distancing practices are encouraged.
- Tabling in Dede Plaza is allowed and can be scheduled through Conference and Event Services.
- Food service at outdoor events is limited to individually packaged food and beverage items or food plated and served and/or beverages poured and served by Sodexo employees. No open access reach-in coolers.
- Inflatables, climbing walls, carnival games and other activities that require equipment sharing are prohibited.
- Pop-up tents no larger than 12’ X 12’ can be used if all sides are open. Events in tents larger than 12’ X 12’ and enclosed tents of any size are subject to the same guidelines as indoor events.
This University guidance is subject to change as more guidance becomes available from public health and government officials. Please check back periodically for updates prior to your event.
Contact Information: Conference and Event Services, 812.237.3817, firstname.lastname@example.org