You are here

Passport Information

Passport Information

A passport is an internationally recognized identity document that verifies your citizenship. You must present your passport each time you enter or leave a country. Most countries require that your expiration date be valid for at least six months beyond your return date. Be sure to apply for your passport or passport renewal far enough in advance of your departure to ensure that you receive it on time, taking into considering both passport processing times and visa processing, if a visa is required for your destination (see visa information below).

The information below will help guide you in the passport application process. Please note that the most up-to-date information is located on the Department of State website.

Applying for a New Passport.

Whether you are renewing a passport of applying for a new one, you can apply online through the U.S. Department of State. Follow this link to apply online.

To apply for a new U.S. passport in person, you must visit a Passport Acceptance Facility. Here in Terre Haute, the closest facility is the Terre Haute MPO. The usual waiting time in Terre Haute to get your passport is four (4) to eight (8) weeks for routine applications, and two (2) to four (4) weeks for expedited application from the Terre Haute MPO. For more information, visit them at 150 West Margaret Drive, Terre Haute, IN 47802, or call 812-231-4040.

When applying for a new passport, you will need the following items:

  • Form DS-11 (Do NOT sign the form until asked to do so by a USPS Representative.)
  • One 2" x 2" color passport photo.
  • Certified birth certificate, a previous passport, or I.N.S. Certificate of Citizenship.
  • Photocopy of a valid driver's license or government issued photo I.D. (front and back)
  • Two required payments
    • U.S. Department of State fee (check or money order)
    • Postal Services processing fee (check, money order, or cash)

Renewing a Passport.

To renew a passport, you are required to submit the following documents. Please note that these applications may be mailed directly to The National Passport Processing Center address listed on Form DS-82 without going through a Passport Acceptance Facility.

  • Form DS-82 (completed and signed)
  • Current U.S. passport
  • Two 2''x2''passport photos

For more information on renewing a passport visit the Department of State website.

Passport Fees.

Click here for the most current passport fees.

Visa Information

Depending on the country, length of program, and type of program, you may be required to obtain a visa for your international experience prior to departure. A visa is a stamp or document that is usually placed in your passport which authorizes you to ask for entry into a country at the country’s border—usually leading to a “yes” response. Each country sets its own visa requirements, and the requirements are frequently updated and changed.

If a visa is necessary for your education abroad program, your program coordinator will likely advise you on the visa requirements and application process and provide any necessary documentation of your acceptance for the visa application. In some cases, you may need to acquire the visa on your own. The most accurate and reliable country-specific information on visa requirements for U.S. citizens can be found on the U.S. Department of State website. If, after reviewing the entry/exit requirements, you find that you will need a visa for your education abroad program, visit the website of the embassy or consulate of the country to which you will be traveling to determine what kind of visa you will need and how to apply. If you have trouble finding the information or if the information is confusing, email or call the embassy or consulate for clarification.

Be sure to apply for your visa in a timely manner. Visa processing times vary depending upon the country, consulate, time of year, and type of visa needed. If you are required to travel to the consulate or embassy to obtain your visa or multiple visas are required for your program, consider using a visa processing service. Consult with your program provider for recommendations.